Notes from Chris
Episode 337THEMES & TAKEAWAYS: In our forty-eighth weekly recap, we'll focus on a couple of different concepts that popped up this week—identity and belonging, thinking through who you're going to serve with your side hustle, and how to find products to sell. Around this time of year, I always go on what I call my Annual Review trip. This is something I've been doing myself for the last 10 years and is the single thing I can use to trace the productivity I've had and the goals I've been able to accomplish. Essentially, it's a measure of my success. If you're interested in learning more about the process, start here! LISTENER QUESTIONS: Today we have a couple of listener emails from Andy and Kyle and a listener voicemail from Scott:
- Andy: "I always understood from your writing and podcast that leveraging your passion or career is a great way to find something to sell. The impression I get is that by being embedded in an industry you are aware of how it works and (hopefully) are able to figure out a way to make a side hustle in it. That is, as long as you keep your head up and eyes open for all the opportunities around us. But in a recent recap episode, you mentioned that you sold Legos for a time even though you were not especially interested in them. My question is, how does one find arbitrage opportunities like that in an apparently totally random field? Or more directly, how did you get into selling Legos? Thanks for your help!"
- Kyle: "I have a question about content or information you make available to potential customers. The side hustle I'm working on contains a lot of information, and I'm not sure if I should lean out the information or pile on all the details for people. For me, I like to have all the information to absorb but a lot of people want just the basics. How would you advise I go about this problem? Give all the info or release a little bit every week and charge for the meat and potatoes? I think the more you know the better, but people have a short attention span."
- Scott has been listening to the show for a while now and has his own side hustle selling rustic wood decorations. It's totally fulfilling his creative desires, but what he'd like to learn is 1) how to use it to create passive income as well, and 2) how to overcome his time and geographic restraints so that he can take his side hustle to the next level.
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 331 - After first learning Adobe Photoshop to forge his report card, a Hawaiian baseball enthusiast creates an apparel line that goes on to earn millions of dollars
- Ep. 332 - In this ribetting feature, a high school science teacher earns an extra $3,000/month removing an invasive species of toads throughout Florida
- Ep. 333 - A woman who undergoes bariatric weight loss surgery creates a subscription service to deliver monthly supplements and resources
- Ep. 334 - An electrical appliance designer wants to start a side hustle in the Crossfit world, but instead of opening a gym or becoming a trainer, he finds a highly profitable third way
- Ep. 335 - Not content with a single hustle, this web developer decides to create 5 projects that each earn $2,000/month. In this episode, we’ll evaluate his first two attempts
- Ep. 336 - In a growing industry, this Oregon mom achieves high returns from licensed marijuana edibles
Make a plan to start your hustle in 27 days or less!
You need more than one source of income. You need a side hustle. Side Hustle builds on the lessons from the show and presents a step-by-step, 27-day plan to help you create a new source of income without quitting your day job.
The book is out at a bookstore near you (or purchase it online!), and I'm in the middle of my 100-city book tour. I hope to see you on the road! Here's where I'll be next:
- Brooklyn, NY - December 13th
- Victoria, Canada - January 26th
- MORE STOPS COMING SOON!
Don’t See Your City? Use the form at the bottom of this page, and let me know where I should go next! I’ll use your input to decide on future book tour stops. If we get enough people together in your city, I’ll be there!
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- A month-long, part-time project writing personalized letters from Santa Claus earns $6,000
- A Texas couple’s bucket list challenge turns into a full-time hustle making and selling ice pops throughout the state
- By day, she works at a museum in Berkeley, California. The rest of the time, she builds giant puppets and produces performances for eager audiences
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Skillshare. 📷
Skillshare is giving Side Hustle School listeners 2 months of unlimited access—for $0.99! Join the 2 million students learning everything from street photography to SEO on Skillshare today!
Get Started Here!
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,