What It's About
We explore the conversation around getting a patent and protecting your idea.
Notes from Chris
Episode 1110Advice about getting a patent is not one-size-fits-all. It’s something that I’ve had to get schooled on because I don’t know a lot ... but at least now I know what I don’t know. It’s taken me a while, but I think I actually have a decent answer to this question which comes up from time to time. Today it arrives from Rebecca, so let’s dive into her situation, along an answer that promises to be at least somewhat informed.
"I have an idea. I can't stop thinking about it. It is something I need and everyone else I ask also needs. I cannot figure out how to decide if I need a patent. You say often not to worry about that, to just focus on the idea, but once in a while, it seems it was important someone went through that process. The money to hire a lawyer seems daunting. But it is a simple idea that would be easily copied, quickly. I also need to figure out how to get a prototype and manufacture it. I love the makersrow website I came to through a few of your posts, but my idea is not fashion or textile-related. I wonder if there is another "matching" website you have heard of for 3-D designers, like makers row, but for more physical hard products, not fashion/clothes/textiles."Listen to today's episode to learn more...
- Ep. 261 - Former NFL Player Sells Ice Shakers for $20,000/Month Income: On a hot Texas day, this former football player gets inspired to create a water bottle. Within six months, it reaches $20,000 in monthly revenue.
- Ep. 921 - “Bendy Straw” Idea Raises $1.8M on Kickstarter: Walking on a Thailand beach and seeing all the plastic pollution was the last straw for this environmentalist.
- Ep. 891 - Disappearing Barrettes Lead to Bow-tiful Business: A mom and “kidpreneur” daughter solve the age-old problem of disappearing hair bows by inventing a double-face, double-snap barrette.
- Ep. 661 - Physical Therapist Sells 57,000 “Neck Hammocks”: In trying to remedy his own workout injuries, this physical therapist invents a portable device to relieve pain. He then patents the device and sells 57,000 of them.
- Ep. 968 - Marine Goes “Under Cover” To Create Eyewear Protector: When a U.S. Marine scratches his sunglasses after placing them in his pocket, he solves the problem with a 3D printed solution.
Download 2019 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2018 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2017 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Social media is nice, but building an email list is still the single best way to get customers and clients for your hustle. It's not hard to get started—sign up for a 30-day trial and join the list-building challenge! You’ll be up and running in no time.
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Side Hustle School is brought to you by American Express.
No matter what you do in business, from working nine-to-five to working five-to-nine, it’s easier when you don’t go it alone. Get the powerful backing of American Express—don't do business without it! 💳
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,