Notes from Chris
Episode 204LISTENER Q&A: This week we had a couple of listener emails and a listener question from Liz in South Carolina:
- Liz feels that she's finally landed on a viable side hustle idea—she's researched it, priced it, and is even using skills that she already has. She even thinks that her start-up costs will be low and totally manageable! All of this has Liz squarely on the right path, however, she has one road block on her side hustle journey: picking out a name for her side hustle. She can't really launch her side hustle website or build a brand without it, so she's looking for a way to pick out a name quickly so that she can get the ball rolling. If you're like Liz and are struggling to find a name for your side hustle, here are two tips for picking out something that will lead you on the path to side hustle success: 1) be descriptive (For examples, see Ep. 158 & Ep. 201 and 2) don't be afraid to pick something clever (For examples, see Ep. 27 & Ep. 198).
CHRIS' RECOMMENDATIONS: If you're interested in creating your own e-commerce website but aren't sure where to start, Shopify has just released a special video series that you may find useful! This comprehensive series is free to you, and Shopify is also offering a 21-day free trial so that you can see if Shopify is right for you. —>Visit the video series page to learn more!
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 198 - From smuggling diamonds in a grocery bag on a fast moving train to secret meetings in the shadows of St. Paul Cathedral at sunset, this Special Agent dedicates her time to helping suitors looking for “yes"
- Ep. 199 - A long love affair with the Sci-fi genre helps this side hustler build an empire—both imaginary and real—through his successful comic books and audio drama podcasts
- Ep. 200 - A brother-and-sister duo learns about entrepreneurship first hand when they create a side hustle baking and selling bread at their local farmer’s market. Each of them purchases their first car with the profits!
- Ep. 201 - In the North African city of Marrakech, an American expat starts a project that she hopes will earn $200/month in spending money. It ends up earning more than $5,000 a month
- Ep. 202 - More than 20,000 people apply to Physician Assistant programs every year. This recent graduate gets paid to coach and prepare students for interviews
- Ep. 203 - A high-school teacher turns his love for woodworking and business into lessons for his students, but it’s really he who’s doing all the learning
Side Hustle Publication Countdown:
In 57 days (September 19th!), my new book, Side Hustle, will launch—and I can’t wait to share it with you!
The book builds on the lessons from the show and presents a step-by-step, 27-day plan to help you create a new source of income without quitting your day job.
MORE NEWS IS COMING SOON, BUT FOR NOW:
- You can pre-order the book from your choice of retailers including your favorite local bookstore, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, iBooks, or anywhere else you’d prefer. If you pre-order, save your receipt (digital or physical)—I’ll have a special bonus for you later.
- Join the Street Team and be part of the launch!
- I’ll be doing a 100-city tour throughout the U.S., Canada, U.K., and then eventually the rest of the world. If you represent a company, organization, co-working space, or similar that would like to host an event, let me know.
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- A marketing executive sees an opportunity to fulfill a niche tourism need in an up-and-coming vacation spot and wine region in Prince Edward County and helps others appreciate the beauty of the area over glasses of wine
- Three friends create a side hustle helping others hack their morning habits for healthier and more productive mornings so that they can wake up at 5am and have the best morning, every morning
- A former graphic designer turns a personal thirty-day challenge into a growing photography brand after realizing that the world could use more opportunities to celebrate
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Blue Apron. 👩🍳
Check out this week’s menu and get your first three meals FREE, with free shipping. Get ready to say mmmmmm.
Get Yours Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,