Notes from Chris
Episode 218LISTENER Q&A: This week we have listener questions from Alissa in Minneapolis, MN and Justin:
- Alissa is a writer by trade, and she currently has a corporate job which she loves. However, she figures that if she can make some money doing other things she enjoys on the side, why not? She started a tutoring business which has been going well, but she recently started blogging through the voice of her dog and both her blog and Instagram account have received a positive response. She just signed up to be an Amazon affiliate so that she can monetize her blog, but she's not sure if she should stick to pet-related products since it's a blog told through the voice of her dog or if she should look for best-selling items and place those and other high priced products strategically on her blog.
- Justin is looking to start a side hustle because he wants to have the option to work part-time whenever he'd like and invest his future in something of his own creation, but he's struggling in the 'idea phase' of side hustle development. He's looking for any helpful tips that could help him get started.
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 212 - A Maryland high-school student parlays his love of baseball into a lucrative sports memorabilia side hustle
- Ep. 213 - An entertainment industry professional transforms her body butter holiday gifts into a quickly growing Etsy store and craft show side hustle
- Ep. 214 - Two friends in Germany create a side hustle manufacturing funeral urns that double as personalized works of art
- Ep. 215 - Herbal medicine isn’t rocket science, but this rocket scientist discovers a side hustle when she turns to herbal medicine in order to treat her immune diseases
- Ep. 216 - This clothing subscription service delivers a box of children’s clothes to parents in The Netherlands each month. It’s a close-knit competition, but you’re tailored to win!
- Ep. 217 - Tired of a road warrior’s tangle of cables and plugs, a Hong-Kong-based entrepreneur makes chargers and adapters truly current
Side Hustle Publication Countdown:
In 43 days (September 19th!), my new book, Side Hustle, will launch—and I can’t wait to share it with you!
The book builds on the lessons from the show and presents a step-by-step, 27-day plan to help you create a new source of income without quitting your day job.
MORE NEWS IS COMING SOON, BUT FOR NOW:
- You can pre-order the book from your choice of retailers including your favorite local bookstore, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, iBooks, or anywhere else you’d prefer. If you pre-order, save your receipt (digital or physical)—I’ll have a special bonus for you later.
- Join the Street Team and be part of the launch!
- I’ll be doing a 100-city tour throughout the U.S., Canada, U.K., and then eventually the rest of the world. If you represent a company, organization, co-working space, or similar that would like to host an event, let me know.
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- Television casting producer who makes monogrammed scarves, earning up to $20,000 a month
- How one fashionista started a boutique after getting fired while pregnant and earns $500 to $1500 a month
- How a fiction writer plots a unique path to profit
- Portland native Derek Murphy has carved out a creative life—writing and publishing dark fantasy and sci-fi books—while also making a sustainable income
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Wordpress.com! Whether you’re looking to create a personal blog, business site, or both—you’ll make a big impact, when you build your website on WordPress.com. 💻
Get 15% off when you build your website with Wordpress.com—use promo code PODCAST when you check out.
Get Started Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,