What It's About
A Texas man starts a dropshipping side hustle and bounces all the way to the bank.
Research & Critical Thinking
Words of Wisdom
Amazon FBA, stock trading, dropshipping high ticket items, and reselling items on eBay were among Rene's top ideas when he was getting started, but ultimately, he decided on dropshipping for a couple reasons with the chief reason being the low barrier of entry. Dropshipping is a fantastic model because he didn't have to invest in producing or purchasing inventory and didn't have to carry inventory or ship the product.
Plus his success wasn’t dependent on external factors out of his control, as is the case with some of the options he was considering, like the stock market or real estate.
Rene’s first sale came while traveling for work. He had just installed the Shopify app on his phone so he could monitor things. Suddenly, in the middle of a meeting, this loud "cha-ching" sounds from his pocket.
Having never heard that noise yet, he casually pulled out his phone to take a look. To his surprise, it was his very first sale!
Notes from Chris
Episode 324During the day, Rene Delgado works in operations and supply chain management for a large consumer electronics company. In the evenings, he runs an eCommerce site dedicated to selling bounce houses to residential and commercial customers. Yep, that's right—bounce houses. Rene didn’t decide to sell bounce houses because he harbors a secret passion for them. He decided to sell bounce houses after some very careful analysis and consideration of his best options. That careful consideration began in August 2016, when he started considering his side hustle options. Amazon FBA, stock trading, dropshipping high ticket items, and reselling items on eBay were among his top ideas, but ultimately he decided on dropshipping. To land on a winning idea, he made a list of over 100 product options and then narrowed the list based on the following criteria: the products were hard to locate in a brick and mortar store, the average price point was over $400, there were more than 5 manufacturers or suppliers, the ad spend on the PPC was below $2, and the level of competition in the space was low. These comprehensive criteria ultimately lead him to settle on bounce houses. Once he had the legal framework in place, he bought a relevant domain—BounceHouseStore.com was luckily available—for less than $20/year and then filed his DBA with his local county. Rene officially launched the website in December 2016, once he had products from multiple manufacturers up. The first three months of the year, Rene brought in almost no revenue because it was simply too cold (winter is apparently a low-bounce season). But by April things start to pick up for summer, with a peak in June. And then by September, as the leaves begin to fall, the bounce goes out of people’s lives...sales drop off again. But looking at sales on a yearly basis tells a much different story. So far in 2017, Rene has had just over $300k in sales! MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- The Bounce House Store: Bounce on over to Rene's website and pick up a bouncy castle for your next Frozen themed birthday party!
- Shopify: Rene used Shopify to set up his store for The Bounce House Store, and they're offering a 21-day trial and exclusive discount for all Side Hustle School listeners!
- QuickSpark Financial: The business that helped Rene increase sales and provide financing to his business customers
- Dropship Lifestyle: An online drop ship course that taught Rene the basics of the business
- The Live Cricket Dropshipping Hustle: Yep, it’s true: a Pennsylvania man makes $700+ a month dropshipping live crickets to reptile owners across the country
- Yoga Mat Reseller Changes Lives While Earning $4,000/Month: After being inspired by social good companies like TOMS, a woman in London creates a yoga accessories business that focuses on empowering women worldwide
- Woman Sells Hair Grips to Orthodox Jews & Drag Queens: It begins as a product for Orthodox Jewish women. It goes on to serve cancer patients, Broadway performers, and drag queens, earning “fringe benefits” and $4,000/month
Want to build any kind of website for your hustle? If so, you'll need somewhere to host it! This is the reliable company I've used for my past 5 websites. It's cheap, flexible, and you can get support 24 hours a day.
Get your own hosting plan for just $5 a month!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Wordpress.com! Whether you’re looking to create a personal blog, business site, or both—you’ll make a big impact, when you build your website on WordPress.com. 💻
Get 15% off when you build your website with Wordpress.com—use promo code PODCAST when you check out.
Get Started Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,