Notes from Chris
Episode 554THEMES & TAKEAWAYS: Over here in my world, we finished the 8th annual World Domination Summit (see pictures from it here!), and one of the things I shared at WDS in between introducing speakers was about “finding your purpose.” We live in an age in which productivity and efficiency are highly regarded values, but sometimes you need to slow down. Sometimes you need to stop doing things. And, of course, sometimes you need to do more! But unless you have a clear sense of purpose, it doesn’t make sense to devote your focus to becoming uber-efficient. It’s much better to be able to say “I’m on the right path. I haven’t got it all figured out, but I know I’m doing the right thing.” Listen to today's Weekly Recap to learn more about finding your purpose and getting efficient at doing the right things!
LISTENER Q&A: This week we had a listener email from Ali and a voicemail from Melanie:
- Ali: "I am currently reading your book The $100 Startup. I have been looking for a business opportunity for a long time now. After having finished my masters in Polymer Chemistry and having started my PhD, I was even more unsatisfied. I don't even remember when or where I bought your book. I must have been in London years ago and when I started reading it I was thinking 'Ah probably just another typical startup book you can find anywhere,' but it really changed my mind. I already had a website which was supposed to be a blog but I didn't use it much anymore. So while reading your book I got this idea of providing a lectureship service to young students who are writing their bachelor's or master's thesis. My wife published it a couple of times on her Instagram account since she has about 11k follower. So now I got my first job today and will get paid my first 150 Euros for about 4-5 hours of work. My first customers got a pretty high discount, but it's okay. 150 Euros is good enough to buy ourselves nice sneakers which we wanted to have for a while now. And it's going to be paid by spare money. How it has been written but you bring the right ideas across and motivate your reader. My aim is to make 1000 Euros a month as a side income. We won't save any of that money or do reasonable thinks but rather pay and buy everything we find really cool but couldn't pay with a PhD scholarship. I mean I already had the WordPress side and my laptop so I literary had an investment of 0 Euros. Thanks, man!"
- Melanie is in Houston, TX, and she just quit her day job to focus on being a stay at home mom. She has a very specific goal in mind and knows what she wants to do: create a children's storybook. Unfortunately, this is a new process for her, so she's not sure what method she should use to get her book published.
- Listen to the Weekly Recap to hear my thoughts on the matter of writing and publishing your first book! And if you're interested in checking out the resources I mention, here are some links: Ep. 276, Ep. 538, and The Unconventional Guide to Publishing
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 548 - In just one year, this Google product manager earns an extra $100,000 by providing marketing services on Fiverr.com. Learn his tips to hack the platform for yourself!
- Ep. 549 - A love of coffee leads to a family-owned coffee hustle, bringing joy and beans to to loyal customers. Don’t procrastinate; pro-caffeinate!
- Ep. 550 - This hospital employee and competitive powerlifter wasn’t making enough money on the side as a personal trainer, so he turned to a completely different idea: bow ties!
- Ep. 551 - A group of college students learn to sell socks with a cause. In two years they sign up more than 100 educational institutions!
- Ep. 552 - A chronic illness diagnosis leads to the “write” side hustle for a full-time communications manager in the UK
- Ep. 553 - In an age of endless distractions, an editor for Superdry found she was reading fewer books. By creating a subscription book club, she now sends new titles to more than 300 people each month
We want to hear from you!
The best part of Side Hustle School is our community, and roughly 20% of our episodes come from listeners. Are you working on something and want to share it with us and our audience? If so, we want to hear from you!
Head on over to our online submission page, and we'll be in touch if your story is chosen.
And if you're still working on something but have some questions, we want to hear from you too! Most Weekly Recap episodes include Listener Q&A.
Call the Side Hustle Hotline at 844-9-HUSTLE (844-948-7853), record your question and send it to email@example.com, or just send us an email!
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- After losing her job, this digital marketer turns to the kitchen, where she whips up pre-made meals and launches a successful crowdfunding campaign
- Two women launch an underwear brand in their spare time. It grows from an early Kickstarter campaign to a multi-million dollar company with more than a dozen employees
- And so much more!
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Blue Apron. 👩🍳
Check out this week’s menu and get your first three meals FREE, with free shipping. Get ready to say mmmmmm.
Get Yours Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,