What It's About
A home organization service that helps those in need.
Words of Wisdom
If you were looking to create a similar side hustle, Lisa says that research and preparation are vital. Going into someone’s home to help them declutter is a deeply personal experience for people, and should be handled with care.
Lisa has been teaching yoga since 1993 and has taught over 4000 classes in her life working with everyone from cancer sufferers to veterans with PTSD.
Notes from Chris
Lisa Holtby has built an entire career around side hustles. Since 1993 she’s been teaching yoga, writing books, running seminars and hosting weekend health retreats, all while being a full-time mom. But towards the end of 2016, she decided it was time for a change. Attending a Seattle taping of Gretchen Rubin and Elizabeth Craft’s Happier podcast where I was also fortunate to be a guest, Lisa picked up a copy of the book Born for This—and after reading it, felt like she was born to be a home organizer. She’d always had a penchant for helping people organize their spaces and doing it never felt like work. As Lisa herself says, it’s how she plays. Whilst setting up her side hustle, Lisa began to volunteer as an English as a Second Language teaching assistant at her local Refugee Women’s Association (ReWA for short). After meeting many amazing and courageous people, she felt the need to help these women and their families transition into America. That’s when her two passions collided to form her perfect side hustle. Lisa would offer decluttering services to her clients, and donate the unwanted items to the refugees who needed them. She jokes that she’s like a modern day Robin Hood, only she doesn’t have to steal from anyone. It would be as fulfilling as it would be enjoyable, and Lisa got straight to work. Over the last four months, Lisa has earned an average of $3,000 per month! And, with a quick glance at her testimonial-filled website, it’s easy to see why. Her clients love what she does and the quality of her work.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- LisaHoltby.com: Learn more about Lisa and the things she's up to on her website!
- Gretchen Rubin and Elizabeth Craft’s Happier podcast & Born for This: The podcast and book that encouraged Lisa to start her side hustle
- Refugee Women’s Association: An award-winning, nationally recognized nonprofit that provides holistic services to help refugee and immigrant women and families thrive
- Bluehost, Wordpress, StudioPress Genesis Framework: The trio that Lisa used to launch her website
- College Student Earns $20,000 a Month Cleaning Houses: A Washington, D.C. student identifies problems in the cleaning industry, then starts a customer service-driven company
- Detroit Women Make Jewelry for Profit and Social Good: An attorney starts a jewelry company with purpose, employing disadvantaged women in Detroit to help them transition from a life of dependence into one of self-reliance
- Stay-At-Home Mom Helps Immigrants Gain Citizenship with YouTube Tutorials: In Washington, DC, a stay-at-home mom and former teacher helps immigrants gain citizenship with YouTube tutorials
Download 2019 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL Download 2018 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2017 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Wordpress.com! Whether you’re looking to create a personal blog, business site, or both—you’ll make a big impact, when you build your website on WordPress.com. 💻
Get 15% off when you build your website with Wordpress.com—use promo code PODCAST when you check out.
Get Started Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,