What It's About
A side hustle that blooms from two stories featured previously on Side Hustle School.
Words of Wisdom
Kristin received some much-needed clarity after she fell ill following her third and largest wedding this past August. Once she got better, she had to evaluate why she was doing this side hustle and what she wanted to get out of it. Her husband helped her talk things out and one of his comments really stuck out to her—he didn’t want her to end up resenting her creative passion. This helped Kristin realize that she needed to set some clear boundaries to make sure she had a better balance going forward get to the point of burnout.
And this is important! Choose an achievable goal and set clear boundaries for yourself so that you don’t get burned out.
When Kristin was a kid, her answer to the classic, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” question was, “A florist!” Now, 30+ years later, she can happily say that she is a florist.
Notes from Chris
WBy day, Kristin Brown manages her father’s industrial electronic and instrumentation wholesale business in Melbourne, Australia. But on evenings and weekends, she has a side hustle that allows her to fulfill her childhood answer to “what do you want to be when you grow up?” Not only that, but Kristen decided to start her side hustle after listening to one of the very first episodes of this podcast! In that episode, a hobby photographer listed their services on Craigslist and started pulling in plenty of gigs. (Episode 9). But before we get too much further, we need to back up a little bit to 2015 when Kristin did a 6-month floral arrangement course. Kristin took the course for fun; a way to do something more creative with her free time and fulfill a long-harbored desire. Once she finished the course, she started helping out on the weekends at a wedding florist. So in early 2017 when a friend asked her if she would do the flowers for her wedding, Kristin thought, “why not?” and immediately agreed. But then she got a little nervous about doing flowers for her friend and was trying to figure out how she could practice beforehand without major cost to herself. That’s where episode 9 of this very podcast comes in. In that episode, Oliver listed his services on Craigslist, at a fairly low price point, just to get some experience. Kristin realized she could do the same on the Australian equivalent, Gumtree. So far, her company ADM Flowers has done three weddings, for a total of $1500 and she already has 12 more bookings lined up for a total of $7,500. Kristin’s side hustle provides her with a creative outlet for her floral designing passions and some guilt-free spending money. The last family trip she bought tickets to a water park for the whole family—an extra that, while she could have afforded, she might have felt a little guilty about splurging on. She also loves that she’s an example to her children that having a side hustle can be fun and rewarding while earning some extra money.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- ADM Flowers: Learn more about this blossoming side hustle on Kristin's website!
- Gumtree: The free, local classified ad platform in Australia that Kristin used to practice her floral arranging skills
- Wordpress: Kristin used Wordpress to create her website, and here you can learn how to install your own Wordpress site in 5 minutes!
- The Craigslist Wedding Photographer: The earlier episode that inspired Kristin's side hustle! Description - A California government employee becomes a part-time wedding photographer by posting an ad on Craigslist
- Vintage Pinup Photography Turns Graphic Designer Into High-Earner: The episode that served as the inspiration for Kristin's floral packages. Description - A love of 1920s-style photography allows a Texas woman to leave her day job and bring in multiple six-figures with classic “recreations” of a faraway time
- Goop | Flower Arranging by Vase: Embrace your inner Martha Stewart and learn how to arrange flowers yourself!
- Bridesmaid-for-Hire Posts on Craigslist; Earns $20,000/Month: A Craigslist ad goes viral and becomes a six-figure business for an in-demand bridesmaid
- Wedding Bells Ring Brighter if the Bride’s Not Broke: A New York professional rents high-end accessories to brides who want the glam without the buck
- Writing Duo Makes a Vow To Improve Wedding Speeches: Two freelance writers use their wit with words to write wedding vows for tongue-tied brides, grooms, and sometimes even the best man
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Wordpress.com! Whether you’re looking to create a personal blog, business site, or both—you’ll make a big impact, when you build your website on WordPress.com. 💻
Get 15% off when you build your website with Wordpress.com—use promo code PODCAST when you check out.
Get Started Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,