Notes from Chris
Episode 372THEMES & TAKEAWAYS: As we're kicking off this new season, I'd like to read some comments to you courtesy of Ryan Grant from Ep. 367—our second day of the new season. Ryan had an incredible story about buying and reselling items from big box stores that allowed him to make hundreds of thousands of dollars which is pretty amazing! He actually did end up quitting his day job, and here's something he said that I really liked: "When making the decision to quit my full-time job, the main factors were: I knew I would regret it if I didn’t take the chance, and I wasn’t fully happy at the position I was working. I felt like I was just existing as opposed to being in control of my life. So on September 20, 2013, I quit my job as an accountant to pursue selling online full time. I walked out of the office on that day with a big smile on my face, and I’ve never looked back." It’s not that you have to quit your job. But you should be in control of your life. No one else should be deciding your future. However you’ve arrived at this shared space where every day you hear about people taking control of their lives in one way or another, ask yourself “What will you regret if you don’t take the chance?” and if starting a project is part of the answer, well, let’s make it happen this year. LISTENER CALL-INS: Today we have listener voicemails from Cameron and Stephen:
- Cameron is considering starting a reselling side hustle where he would purchase all of these products that are valuable by themselves and resell them together as part of a kit (which he thinks would add value), and he's wondering what kinds of things it would be important to keep in mind for a side hustle like this.
- Stephen was looking for a mobile pedicure service for his elderly mother in Florida who lives in a care facility, but he had a really hard time finding one. He ended up using someone that wasn't necessarily a manicurist by trade who did a good job, but he thinks that there's a real market for this type of service and would encourage anyone in the area to start it up.
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 366 - You need a side hustle, and you can start one without taking a lot of risk or spending much money. We’ll show you how!
- Ep. 367 - A young accountant learns the art of reselling, purchasing textbooks, dental floss, and Cheerios from retail stores in bulk—then earns hundreds of thousands of dollars in profit by selling it online
- Ep. 368 - Two immigrants from Laos meet the needs of an underserved community in a $50,000 per year hustle
- Ep. 369 - After first rejecting Instagram as being “only for selfies,” a Sri Lankan designer starts a popular account that earns steady affiliate commissions
- Ep. 370 - After struggling with sleeplessness for years, an account executive learns to make herbal remedies—then sells them to other tired people, earning up to $3,000/month on the side
- Ep. 371 - A no-risk model to earn passive income by uploading t-shirt designs to Amazon.com
Make a plan to start your hustle in 27 days or less!
You need more than one source of income. You need a side hustle. Side Hustle builds on the lessons from the show and presents a step-by-step, 27-day plan to help you create a new source of income without quitting your day job.
The book is out at a bookstore near you (or purchase it online!), and I'm in the middle of my 100-city book tour. I hope to see you on the road! Here's where I'll be next:
- Brisbane, Australia - January 14th
- Melbourne, Australia - January 15th
- Sydney, Australia - January 16th
Don’t See Your City? Use the form at the bottom of this page, and let me know where I should go next! I’ll use your input to decide on future book tour stops. If we get enough people together in your city, I’ll be there!
Join the Side Hustle Society!
Throughout 2017, I've been saying that the Side Hustle Society is coming, and well...we're finally getting ready to launch!!
This online training program is designed to take you step by step through starting a side hustle project of your own, and it's also going to be an online community where you can connect with other side hustlers, make introductions, and get peer feedback.
We're going to introduce it for a limited time starting on January 9th, and the initial signup is only going to be available for a week.
If you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Skillshare. 📷
Skillshare is giving Side Hustle School listeners 2 months of unlimited access—for $0.99! Join the 2 million students learning everything from street photography to SEO on Skillshare today!
Get Started Here!
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,