What It's About
After being rejected by the publishing industry, a graphic designer sets out to document as many amazing human beings as possible with her visual study on human identity.
Words of Wisdom
Jelena would warn others that when money is introduced into a pre-existing hobby or passion, it can taint the experience and intention behind it. At times, she still gets nervous that somebody is paying her to do something she’s invented and it’s difficult not to get into her own head about it.
Jelena’s best advice for aspiring side hustlers? There are no rights or wrongs on the side-hustle path. You just have to take action, like I encourage you to do every day.
The first mention of confetti in literature exists in Italian author Giovanni Boccaccio’s Decameron novellas, which were published from 1313-1365. These were “candy-like confections originally made from honey and dried fruit as well as spices and, possibly, seeds or nuts.”
Notes from Chris
A graphic designer by day, Jelena Aleksich specializes in presentation and deck design for startups and other companies. But for the past two years, she has devoted much of her spare time to The Confetti Project—a photography series that profiles incredible people, doused in confetti while asking the question “What do you celebrate?” The Confetti Project was a free passion project until six months ago when Jelena introduced its first revenue stream: paid confetti photo-shoots. These shoots started at $200 and are now $350 per session, bringing in $1,000 to $4,000 per month after expenses, like studio rental (and confetti!) are covered. Overall revenue fluctuates largely because demand varies month to month, and to combat that, Jelena has been pursuing more pop-up activations with brands for added exposure. Next, Jelena plans to completely transform The Confetti Project into a brand with individual shoots, charity campaigns, workshops, city activations, and focusing on finishing the coffee table book she started in her 3-month challenge. Get a glimpse of Jelena's passion project by watching the video below:
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- The Confetti Project: Learn more about Jelena's confetti celebration themed photoshoots on her website!
- By The Book: By The Book is half reality show, half self-help podcast, and one wild social experiment. Join comedian Jolenta Greenberg and her skeptical friend Kristen Meinzer as they live by the rules of a different self-help book each episode to figure out which ones might actually be life changing
- Daniel's Customized Price Calculator: Daniel from Ep. 119 (linked below) designed a mathematical formula in Excel that considers certain parameters, including hours for photography and editing and gas cost per gallon, and provides the cost-of-service quote
- “Cosplay” Photographer Earns $47,000 from Epic Star Wars Portraits: A Texas photographer combines his love for art and science fiction to add magic to his photography specializing in cosplay and all things geek
- Vintage Pinup Photography Turns Graphic Designer Into High-Earner: A love of 1920s-style photography allows a Texas woman to leave her day job and bring in multiple six-figures with classic “recreations” of a faraway time
Subscribe Now For A Free Five Step Tutorial
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by ShipStation, the #1 choice of online sellers. 📦
To get a 30-day trial AND an additional month free, click the microphone at the top of their page and enter the word HUSTLE.
Get it Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,