Notes from Chris
Episode 358CALLING ALL SIDE HUSTLERS! I’m going to jump in with some comments on this week’s episodes in a moment, but first, I just want to say that I really love hearing from listeners! This is one of the most joyous parts of this experience—getting emails, voicemails, etc. and passing them around to the rest of the team. Since day one, Side Hustle School has focused entirely on helping our awesome listeners create a new source of income, and, well, stories from many of those listeners have been coming in! This week we kicked off with an episode featuring a minister who creates a side hustle earning $3,000/month. The very next episode featured a yoga teacher in Seattle who starts a decluttering service that makes money and helps refugees who are resettling from places like Iraq and Syria. Stories like these are why I work on the show every day. Going into next year, we’d really like to focus on adding even more listener questions and stories to the show, so if you have a question or want to share your story, we’d love to hear it! Feel free to leave me a voice message on the website, call into the Side Hustle Hotline (Dial 844-9-HUSTLE // 844-948-7853), or send us an email at email@example.com
LISTENER QUESTIONS: Today we have two listener email from Joanne and a listener voicemail from Stephanie:
- Joanne: "Hi Chris, it was great meeting you in Newark! I listened to Side Hustle while driving two hours each way to my vacation cabin in Phoenicia, NY. After feeling inspired, I started to host on Airbnb to help pay for the utilities—and now make approximately three times my mortgage! Your book also gave me the idea to start a side hustle helping others who want to host but don't know where to start. The funny thing is, I WAS that person 9 months ago! I listed myself on Airbnb as a "cohost" and got my first client in one day. Right now it's my only client, but hey you have to start somewhere! My next step is come up with a clever name and build a blog with affiliate links to products that are key to hosting. Thanks for all of the inspiration!" Interested in starter platforms that you can use to launch your first side hustle? Listen to Extended Cut #2 to learn more!
- Shaun: "Hello again! My wife and I have decided to take action. We both love coffee and music, so we're creating a private label coffee label based around a particular genre—Black Metal. Now it does sound a little weird, and we weren't sure people would go for it, but minimal advertising on social media (just in the states) has given us a global following grabbing the attention of well-known musicians. We were able to design the coffee with the help of local roasters. I designed the labels and packaging, then sent it to a friend to remake everything into 300dpi+ images. Now the product and packaging is ready for us...all on demand! The website though, grrrr. I've launched the site, had a couple of small hiccups, and it works perfectly... except for iPhone users...well, some iPhone users. Do you happen to know anyone I could contact to help figure this out?" If you're experiencing website formatting issues similar to Shaun, it may be time to call in the calvary! And if funds are tight, check out Upwork!
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 352 - Listener success story! This Presbyterian minister turns to his lifelong interest in role-playing games to set up a sustainable second income source
- Ep. 353 - After attending a live podcast taping, this longtime side hustler starts a new project that helps people declutter while donating items to local refugees
- Ep. 354 - A longtime cartoonist becomes a woodworker, then sells his handcrafted smoking wands to hundreds of wholesale shops, earning up to $20,000 per trade show
- Ep. 355 - After starting her hustle with a friend, this new mom buys out her co-owner and begins earning $10,000/month selling baby items
- Ep. 356 - An ad executive and new dad pursues a creative outlet, making handcrafted ladders during his son’s naptimes
- Ep. 357 - Feeling disappointed with the wedding industrial complex, where the average ceremony costs $35,000, this unconventional couple creates an alternative option
Make a plan to start your hustle in 27 days or less!
You need more than one source of income. You need a side hustle. Side Hustle builds on the lessons from the show and presents a step-by-step, 27-day plan to help you create a new source of income without quitting your day job.
The book is out at a bookstore near you (or purchase it online!), and I'm in the middle of my 100-city book tour. I hope to see you on the road! Here's where I'll be next:
- Brisbane, Australia - January 14th
- Melbourne, Australia - January 15th
- Sydney, Australia - January 16th
Don’t See Your City? Use the form at the bottom of this page, and let me know where I should go next! I’ll use your input to decide on future book tour stops. If we get enough people together in your city, I’ll be there!
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- Despite getting paid only in cookies, this cheerful man has been making seasonal deliveries for more than 700 years. How does he do it??
- After spotting a viral Kickstarter campaign for men’s rompers, two young professionals decide to create their own fashion line
- A Dutch cryptocurrency enthusiastic takes to YouTube to explain it to his countrymen, earning commissions from tools and resources he endorses
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Wordpress.com! Whether you’re looking to create a personal blog, business site, or both—you’ll make a big impact, when you build your website on WordPress.com. 💻
Get 15% off when you build your website with Wordpress.com—use promo code PODCAST when you check out.
Get Started Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,