What It's About
A government analyst utilizes her eye for fashion and perseveres after losing her day job.
Words of Wisdom
Part of Kiesha's success can be attributed to how incredibly thorough she was in checking out manufacturer websites, client reviews, and following up on referrals.
This is your product—it will be representative of you, so make sure that you order samples in order to check the quality and visit their showroom!
Kiesha recently presented her designs at the Stylist Suite for the BET Awards. It went extremely well and led to a lot new connections with the stylists of many of her dream celebrity clients.
Notes from Chris
Kiesha Nelson-Harris works as an acquisition analyst for a government agency in DC. Her side hustle is Klashaa’s Closet, a boutique selling custom apparel and accessories for the modern and sexy woman. Opening a boutique had been running through her head since she was 12, and after losing her job, she took a flying leap into building one. Kiesha spent about $500 to get her LLC, logo, and website started. She also bought a small amount of inventory with her savings and the last check from her job. Once she got the site, she uploaded a few items and designs and did a soft launch, marketing herself through social media, word of mouth, and vendor shows. In fact, she got her first sale through a vendor show and then they started pouring in through social media and word of mouth. It took two months to sell her inventory and make back her initial investment. After about six months, she started earning about $500/month. Her monthly income varies from $500 to $1,500 a month depending on the season and vendor shows, but lately, she’s been earning around $1,000 to $1,500 a month thanks to additional custom orders.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Klashaa's Closet: Get a peek of Klashaa's fashionable selections on her website!
- Shopify and Wix: The two website platforms that Kiesha experimented with for Klashaa's Closet
- eBay and Poshmark: Two e-commerce sites that helped give Kiesha her start and drive traffic to Klashaa's Closet
- What is an LLC?: Learn more about the pros and cons of starting your own LLC
- Hair Salon Owner Designs Mittens for Cold Runners: An avid runner has a difficult time finding gloves or mittens that feel comfortable enough for running while also keep her fingers warm in the winter. She decides to make her own and pursues a patent for her idea/li>
- College Buddies Create $15,000 Bow Tie Hustle: After making the decision to upgrade their wardrobes, two Virginia college students start a bow tie side hustle
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Blue Apron. 👩🍳
Check out this week’s menu and get your first three meals FREE, with free shipping. Get ready to say mmmmmm.
Get Yours Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,