What It's About
A new beard leads to the growth of a profitable side hustle slinging beard products.
Words of Wisdom
Chandler opted to use a method called content marketing—where you create valuable content like blog posts and podcasts to share information—blogging and sharing beard care tips to people across the internet. He also created his own Reddit thread where people can ask questions and he can respond instantly—and openly—with personalized tips.
Late in 2016, Chandler was contacted by an NFL agent about donating some products to their clients. One played for the Raiders and one for the 49ers. It was perfect: 2 pro athletes from California teams using California Beard Company products!
Notes from Chris
At 10:09am on the 18th April 2010, cartographer Chandler Sterling took to Facebook to declare to the world that he felt it was time to start growing a beard. This crucial update gathered only two likes and eight comments from his friends, but little did they all know it was going to be a life changing decision. Because six years of itching, scratching and lost crumbs later, that decision would grow to become a profitable side hustle. He spent countless hours researching what ingredients made for a good beard oil, how they affected the skin, and what would help keep a well-kempt, healthy beard. Then he began to look for vendors in his local area of California where he could buy the raw materials for himself. So, in the summer of 2016, he founded the California Beard Company and began his venture as a side hustler. Using both an online and offline presence, his side hustle has been able to generate around $500 per month income, and nurture a customer base that is growing gradually each month.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- California Beard Co.: Check out Chandler's full line of beard products on his website!
- Reddit: The "front page of the internet" where Chandler received some additional traffic from as a result of his content marketing efforts
- Wordpress, Stripe, & WooCommerce: The trifecta that Chandler used to keep his startup costs low
- National Farmers Market Directory: In addition to selling his beard products on his website, Chandler also sells them at his local farmers market. Find your local farmers market here!
- Contently | 150 Content Marketing Tips: Here are some bite-sized tips to help you get started with successful content marketing
- Oncology Nurse Creates Products to Regrow Hair After Chemo; Earns $80,000: After kicking cancer to the curb, a Texas oncology nurse discovers the power of essential oils for hair regrowth and launches her own handmade hair care line
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Blue Apron. 👩🍳
Check out this week’s menu and get your first three meals FREE, with free shipping. Get ready to say mmmmmm.
Get Yours Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,