What It's About
A store salesman manufactures a baby harness that helps parents teach their children to walk.
Words of Wisdom
In the beginning, Jeffrey put in a lot of time but minimal money. He drew up prototypes himself, got advice from friends in the clothing business, and had friends help him make the first physical product. Even his initial marketing efforts ranged from being free to cheap in price, and he approached "mom bloggers" and gave them products to review and giveaway.
Who do you know that can help you and your side hustle succeed?
Jeffrey says that the most surprising thing about creating the Juppy is all the emails that he gets from happy parents, telling him stories about how much his product helped their child learn to walk. And like many people featured on this podcast, he's grateful for the financial freedom that have come with his side hustle.
Notes from Chris
Side Hustle School often features stories that focus on the concept of using the skills you already have instead of learning a new skill. For examples, see Ep. 13, Ep. 33, or Ep. 78. But what about using the network of people you already know? In today’s story, a clothing salesman has an idea for an all-new product that would help parents and their children. He doesn’t know anything about manufacturing—and he doesn’t want to spend a lot of money figuring it out—so he starts with the people he knows. Along the way, he ends up with a patent on his new product and a six-figure side income. When you surround yourself with people with a variety of skills, you have access to a wide range of resources. Some people think they “don’t know anyone,” but this is almost always false. Did you go to school, to college, to university? What about your colleagues or former colleagues? Who do your friends know? Who do you know who could help with your idea? MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- The Juppy: Check out Jeffrey's easy to use baby harness
- Google Adwords: In addition to reaching out to "mom bloggers," Jeffrey also used Google Adwords to promote the Juppy
- Facebook Ads: Learn more about how you can use Facebook Ads to reach out to a larger audience with a guide for beginners written by my go-to expert, Claire Pells
- A Visit to the Ballpark Inspires a Unique Fashion Item: A couple learns to manufacture novelty baseball sweaters after receiving a lot of attention at a baseball game
- UX Designer Creates "SimpleBra" to Help Women Feel More Comfortable: How a UI/UX designer scratched an entrepreneurial itch and used $15,000 of her savings to create a side hustle making bras for women looking for non-traditional alternatives
- New Yorker Doubles Her Income with Next-Level Tarot Cards: How a senior designer for a feminist media publication creates tarot card decks, and ends up making as much with her side hustle as she does at her day job
Subscribe Now For A Free Five Step Tutorial
Want to build any kind of website for your hustle? If so, you'll need somewhere to host it! This is the reliable company I've used for my past 5 websites. It's cheap, flexible, and you can get support 24 hours a day.
Get your own hosting plan for just $5 a month!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by ShipStation, the #1 choice of online sellers. 📦
To get a 30-day trial AND an additional month free, click the microphone at the top of their page and enter the word HUSTLE.
Get it Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,