What It's About
A stay-at-home-mom posts online tutorials for aspiring U.S. citizens.
Words of Wisdom
Though she originally had no intention of making money off the videos, her husband quickly noticed the traffic the new site was generating. At around 1,000 hits with an upward trend of about 250 hits per day, they decided to try monetizing the channel. Within three months, she was making a steady profit.
You can make something that is helpful to other people and get paid for it.
One of Danielle's first students was a Tibetan refugee, who had escaped Tibet by walking through the Himalayan Mountains to India before finally making it to the United States. Listening to the student’s story—and meeting others from around the world with similar tales—further inspired Danielle to help others reach their goals of obtaining US citizenship.
Notes from Chris
Danielle Fang was a stay-at-home mother with two kids in school when she decided to start volunteering. While she had taught elementary school for 10 years, she enjoyed working with adults and this time opted to lead a literacy course. Danielle saw a great need in her community for the kind of support her classes were providing. However, the courses usually ran for 9 to 12 weeks and each class was up to three hours long. She found that many of her students didn’t have time to make the full commitment and often missed classes, putting them at a disadvantage. She came up with a simple solution: she decided to post all the information and lessons online so people could catch up on their own time. And with that, accidentally, her side hustle was born. Since launching her YouTube channel, she's found a way to monetize the popularity of her videos by using Google AdSense, and is now bringing in around $2,000 a month. In the process, Danielle has become a crusader-of-sorts for side businesses. She loves sharing her experience, and is hard at work convincing her friends, especially other stay-at-home parents, that starting similar hustles—while giving back—is entirely within reach. Not only that, but the people you help don’t always need to be the ones who pay for it. The ESSA Group YouTube channel is an example of an advertiser-supported model, where the advertisers are third parties to the exchange of information that takes place between Danielle and her users. Watch the video below for an example of Danielle's tutorials. It's received more than 4 million views!
- ESSA Group YouTube Channel: Check out more of Danielle's videos like the one above!
- ESSA Group Website: Learn more about Danielle and her mission
- USCIS - Civics Test Practice: The civics practice test is a 20 question study tool to help you test your knowledge before you take the real exam. For the actual exam, you're asked 10 out of a list of 100 questions and you must get 6/10 to pass
- Google Adsense: Danielle used AdSense to monetize her YouTube channel
- Weebly Pro Website Builder: Danielle didn't have any design experience, and this website creator allowed for a simple drag-and-drop approach
- Camtasia Studio: A software suite for creating video tutorials (purchase for less than $150)
- Detroit Women Make Jewelry for Profit and Social Good: An attorney starts a jewelry company with purpose, employing disadvantaged women in Detroit to help them transition from a life of dependence into one of self-reliance.
- South Carolina Man Learns to Make Candles by Watching YouTube: Inspiration strikes in an upscale men’s store when a man comes across a line of handmade scented candles.
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by ShipStation, the #1 choice of online sellers. 📦
To get a 30-day trial AND an additional month free, click the microphone at the top of their page and enter the word HUSTLE.
Get it Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,