What It's About
A podcast production side hustle that earns more than a landscaper's day job.
Words of Wisdom
In addition to cold emailing podcasts to see if they were looking for a producer, Jeremy was also applying for jobs on UpWork.com and managed to land his first client within a week of coming up with his side hustle idea. This immediate validation was just the boost he needed to really pursue it.
If you need to validate your idea, try using a starter website similar to Upwork. It's low-risk and well worth it if it gives you the validation you need to move forward!
At this point, Jeremy’s side hustle is completely location independent. In fact, he spent two weeks running his business from his bicycle while he toured the UK and another two weeks on foot while he walked the Camino de Santiago in Portugal and Spain.
Notes from Chris
Back in early 2016 Jeremy Enns was working at a landscaping job in Vancouver that he knew he didn’t want to do forever, which is why he wanted to start some sort of side hustle. When it came time to decide what that side hustle would be, it was actually a pretty easy decision. You see Jeremy is obsessed with podcasts. He listens to 50+ hours a week at 2x speed so he can get through so many. In addition to his love of podcasts, he also has the necessary skills to edit and produce podcasts since he went to school for audio engineering and production. As he started thinking about doing podcast editing and production as side hustle, he realize that there was also a huge potential audience for these services. He had hit the trifecta: passion, skill, and opportunity. After validating his idea using UpWork, he continued landing clients and realized that not only did this idea have merit but he needed to update his website to reflect this new focus. His existing site was aimed at musicians looking to record albums. So he slowly started updating and tweaking the website himself. With some minor changes and no additional marketing, Jeremy continued to get clients via word of mouth and UpWork. Good shift! At the beginning of August 2016, about four months into this hustle, Jeremy started thinking about turning this into his full-time focus. At the end of August, a couple weeks after he gave his notice, he finally added up all of the revenue streams he was getting through his clients and realized that he had made more money that month on his side hustle than his day job. That was the moment he knew he had made the right decision. Within a couple months of quitting his day job he was bringing in an average of $4k per month.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Ascetic Productions | Podcast Resources: If you're interested in learning more about Jeremy's podcast production side hustle, check out his website!
- Rain City Scoop: Learn more about all of the ice cream that Vancouver, WA has to offer through Jeremy's niche podcast
- Wordpress: Jeremy used Wordpress to create Ascetic Productions, and here you can learn how to install your own Wordpress site in 5 minutes
- UpWork, Google Suite, Leadpages: Some of the programs and platforms that Jeremy used along the way
- The Art of Non-Conformity | 9 Life Lessons From Starting a Daily Podcast: I wrote a blog post over on my blog about my journey so far with the Side Hustle School podcast and some of the lessons I've learned along the way. Check it out!
- Side Hustle School | Websites & Platforms to Make Quick Cash: Sometimes it can be difficult to know where to start with your side hustle, and you may not want to make a major investment if you’re still in an experimental stage. To get you going, here are some great starter sites and platforms
- Musician Turns Drum Lessons Into Six-Figure Podcast: It starts with a drum set that his brother’s band left at his house for a month when he was a teenager—and it develops into a lifelong love of percussion and a major moneymaker
- Essential Oils Podcast Produces $2,000/Month in Passive Income: A stay-at-home mother starts a podcast about essential oils and pulls her family off government assistance
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by ShipStation, the #1 choice of online sellers. 📦
To get a 30-day trial AND an additional month free, click the microphone at the top of their page and enter the word HUSTLE.
Get it Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,