Notes from Chris
Episode 582THEMES & TAKEAWAYS: Sir John Templeton once said, "The most dangerous words in investing are 'this time it's different.'" What he meant in that context was that investors tend to repeat common mistakes. They fail to see that the results will be the same even if a few minor circumstances have changed. That's why people continue to lose money when they bet on stocks without knowing what they are doing. This thinking is dangerous in more than just investing, because of our tendency to wrongly predict the future. When you're facing a dilemma of "Do I wait it out, or do I do it now?" maybe ask yourself, "If I wait a year, what will really be different?" You may very well be able to identify something that is going to create a complete change in your circumstance or situation that makes it more feasible to start your new project, take that big trip, or whatever it is that you want to do. Or you might find that there's not much that is going to magically happen to all of the sudden make your life different. If you want something to be different, you have to do something yourself to make that a reality. There's another quote that I like by Andy Warhol: "They say time changes things, but mostly, you have to change them yourself." Listen to today's Weekly Recap to learn more about why "this time it's different" is a dangerous phrase and why you should take action today, not next month, or even next week!
WHERE ARE THEY NOW: This is a new segment that we're trying out with the help of side hustlers that we've featured on the show in the past. Today, we have an update from Andrew Church from Ep. 33. We featured Andrew way back in February of 2017 when he had just started making unique and functional items out of slate under the name Bison Hill Stonecraft. Listen to the Weekly Recap to hear from Andrew and see what's happened since he was featured on the show last year!
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 576 - A communications manager and mother of two young children manufactures an innovative solution for a common shopping problem
- Ep. 577 - While waiting tables, a recent college grad discovers the world of “sneakerheads.” He then learns to buy and resell shoes, earning a six-figure income and quitting his job within a year
- Ep. 578 - This shipping executive’s foreign friends struggled to get their hands on the American goods he took for granted. His new business now delivers thousands of packages a month to countries like Liberia and Hungary
- Ep. 579 - After following his wife around Italy, an Irishman takes life by the handlebars—breaking the cycle of new jobs by learning how to drop-ship e-bikes
- Ep. 580 - When diet and fitness fads run their course, this Aussie builds a tribe of over 16,000 followers and a side hustle that brings in $10,000/month
- Ep. 581 - A project planner gets inspired by his son’s soccer game and then creates a rewarding business as a sports videographer
We want to hear from you!
The best part of Side Hustle School is our community, and roughly 20% of our episodes come from listeners. Are you working on something and want to share it with us and our audience? If so, we want to hear from you!
Head on over to our online submission page, and we'll be in touch if your story is chosen.
And if you're still working on something but have some questions, we want to hear from you too! Most Weekly Recap episodes include Listener Q&A.
Call the Side Hustle Hotline at 844-9-HUSTLE (844-948-7853), record your question and send it to email@example.com, or just send us an email!
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- A chef sets out to reinvent the humble apron, growing it to a multi-million-dollar company while still working in restaurants at night
- A San Diego project manager creates a tiny foam roller relieve pain and prevent injury no matter where you are
- And so much more!
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by ShipStation, the #1 choice of online sellers. 📦
To get a 30-day trial AND an additional month free, click the microphone at the top of their page and enter the word HUSTLE.
Get it Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,