What It's About
CrossFitter creates a fitness gym equipment empire and makes 7-figures!
Words of Wisdom
If you were looking to start a similar business, Peter’s words of advice are to become obsessed about a problem that people have, find out where the people who have this problem spend their time, then go out of your way to help them solve it. Looking to the future, Peter wants to look at expanding into the supplement industry, perhaps growing that hustle along the same path as the first.
One of Peter's first big marketing campaigns involved buying 10,000 condoms and giving them away to athletes and spectators at one of the first CrossFit Games. The same week he ordered 10,000 condoms, his wife gave birth to their second daughter. Peter joked to people that the consequences of unprotected sex scared him so much that he ordered a lifetime supply of condoms!
Notes from Chris
Episode 334For electrical appliance designer and marketer Peter Keller, his honeymoon was the turning point in his life. In a small pub in Mexico, instead of focusing on a romantic evening with his wife, Peter found himself sneaking behind the bar to try and see what fridge they were using. It was at this moment he realized he was too obsessed with his current work, and it was time for a change. He knew he’d always love to work, but he was ready to focus on something a lot cooler than fridges. Outside of his work, Peter was a keen Crossfitter and had fully bought into the lifestyle. So, he figured that may be the best place to start looking for his next idea. Not wanting to be a trainer or run his own gym, Peter decided he would instead focus on providing the equipment that could help people transform their lives. Thus in 2010, out of the extra space in his home-garage, he started his new side hustle, FringeSport. An online store where people could buy the equipment for their CrossFit needs. After the first two years of running his new side hustle, FringeSport, he was able to quit his job and focus on this full time. It’s now a big business. In its seventh year, the Crossfit equipment hustle should end the year with sales in the range of $4 and $6 million dollars.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- FringeSport: Put an impressive home gym together with Peter's website!
- Running Lean by Ash Maurya: The book Peter read that introduced him to the concept of the "Minimum Viable Product"
- Shopify: Peter used Shopify to set up his store for FringeSport, and they're offering a 21-day trial and exclusive discount for all Side Hustle School listeners!
- ShipStation: The app that Peter used to simplify his shipments. Get a 30-day trial AND an additional month free, click the microphone at the top of their page and enter the word HUSTLE.
- Google AdWords: Google's online advertising platform that places your ad in the 'Sponsored Links' section next to search results to boost website traffic and sales
- Fitness Pole Dance Studio Grows to 4 Locations: How a graphic designer started a pole dancing fitness studio, expanded it to multiple locations, and grew it to a six-figure income before quitting her job
- The 10-Minute Workout Gym: A Nashville insurance executive who hates exercising opens a gym modeled on working out for only 10 minutes at a time
- Hand Grippers Make for a $60,000-Strong Hustle: You won’t believe this gripping story: two married fitness enthusiasts capitalize on the niche grip strength market, earning extra cash and peace of mind for their growing family
Download 2020 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP Download 2019 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2018 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2017 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Skillshare. 📷
Skillshare is giving Side Hustle School listeners 2 months of unlimited access—for $0.99! Join the 2 million students learning everything from street photography to SEO on Skillshare today!
Get Started Here!
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,