What It's About
How you talk about your product and service shouldn't be an afterthought.
Notes from Chris
Episode 1143In recent Classroom episodes, we’ve looked at different side hustle ideas—where they come from, categories of different ideas, how to decide between competing ideas, and so on. Last week we began building our Roadmap to Launch: all the things you need to do before you can debut your project. This episode is called, It's Not Just What You Say, It's How You Say It. Why aren’t we talking about shopping carts? Instagram ads? Or - wait - why aren’t we building out those nuts and bolts we talked about last week. We’re still all about nuts and bolts, and we’ll get to marketing much more in the second two-thirds of the year, but because branding and messaging are part of product design … it’s critical to think about the message you’ll be presenting. This shouldn’t be an afterthought; it’s something you consider as you work off that roadmap and as you complete those tasks. Here’s a key point: we make purchasing decisions based on emotion more than logic, and the way you appeal to emotion is by leading with benefits. Recent and upcoming stories:
- - Ep. 1134: Journalist who leads outdoor activities in Maine [get outdoors and try something new with a supportive group]
- - Ep. 1151: -Two sisters make natural skincare products [improve your skincare without paying commercial price from this family-run business]
- * Is it a product or service?
- * Who is my ideal customer?
- * How will I go from idea to offer?
THIS WEEK’S ASSIGNMENT:Describe your product or service based on this important quality of benefit-driving messaging. Here are three quick examples:
1) Ep. 1099: Art School Graduate Becomes Pencil King An artist goes from a small Manitoba village to earning six-figures with educational websites while living in China.
Benefit-driven: Anyone can learn to draw. Even if you never thought it was possible, you too can become an artist.
2) Ep. 1123: Flimsy Notebooks Inspire Crafty Construction Worker When a safety supervisor’s “genuine leather” notebooks keep falling apart, he begins to investigate. He finds his answer—and a side hustle that brings in $8,000 a month.
Benefit-driven: You need a notebook that works as hard as you do. This tool won’t let you down!
3) Ep. 1127: Bellydance Class Gets High-Tech Update Finding a way to offer bellydance classes to an online audience allows this listener to shimy her way to success.
Benefit-driven: Get fit, get sexy, and learn a new skill based on an ancient practice from the comfort and privacy of your home.
Inspiration is good; inspiration combined with action is better. Now get back to work! Yours in the revolution,
Download Episodes By Months Season 5 (2021): JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | Season 4 (2020): JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC | Season 3 (2019): JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC | Season 2 (2018): JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC | Season 1 (2017): JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC |
Want to build any kind of website for your hustle? If so, you'll need somewhere to host it! This is the reliable company I've used for my past 5 websites. It's cheap, flexible, and you can get support 24 hours a day.
Get your own hosting plan for just $5 a month!
Sponsors & Gratitude
Side Hustle School is brought to you by American Express.
No matter what you do in business, from working nine-to-five to working five-to-nine, it’s easier when you don’t go it alone. Get the powerful backing of American Express—don't do business without it! 💳
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,