Notes from Chris
Episode 295LISTENER SHOUTOUTS: This week we have listener check ins from Sean and Jan and a listener voice message from Taryn:
- Sean: "Hi Chris! I’m a big fan. From the podcast to your books (I’m almost done with your latest, Side Hustle), I find your advice along with the experiences of others very motivating. So... I did it. Made my first sample purchase of a product sourced from China, to be sold on Amazon. Just wanted to say that it’s very much in thanks to your work that I went through with it. Lots of work ahead to make it profitable, but I’m ready for it. My goal is to bring in an extra $2,500 a month, in 6 months, then we’ll see where I'm at. Anyways, thanks again and see you at your Toronto tour stop!"
- Jan: "Hi Chris, I'm a teacher at an Alternative school for high school seniors in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Many of these kids struggle to pay for extras and haven't had entrepreneurial role models. I recently started listening to your Side Hustle podcast and then introduced it and you to my class. I could almost see the wheels come off, and the ideas started flowing! I'm reading the book now and will be incorporating the plans into our weekly class!! I'm seeing a curriculum for you to develop for high schools and colleges!!! Got me thinking like you!!"
- Taryn started a bridal blog a while back, but she found that she received more interest through Pinterest than she did through her blog. She wants to try with an advice blog, but she doesn't want to repeat the outcome she had with her bridal blog since part of her goal is to monetize it. She wants to know how she can monetize her blog from day one and do things differently. She'd also like to know what the differences are between stories we've featured that get to profitability almost immediately versus those who take a while to get there.
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 289 - He looked for a simple solution for a client, and didn’t find one—so he spent the next year building it
- Ep. 290 - A trip to the mall at age 10 turns into a long-term hustle buying and reselling popular sneakers
- Ep. 291 - You read that right. In this bone-rattling story, a woman earns up to $3,000/month cleaning animal skulls for hunters and horror shows. She’s bad to the bone!
- Ep. 292 - A painter uses her love for her hometown and her last $100 to start a side hustle creating art that pays real money
- Ep. 293 - A nomadic employee writes a guidebook about Iceland and earns $10,000 after promoting it on Pinterest
- Ep. 294 - Noticing that new clients have lower budgets for web design, a woman in Berlin creates a series of low-cost kits
Make a plan to start your hustle in 27 days or less!
You need more than one source of income. You need a side hustle. Side Hustle builds on the lessons from the show and presents a step-by-step, 27-day plan to help you create a new source of income without quitting your day job.
The book is out at a bookstore near you (or purchase it online!), and I'm also about to start the sixth week of my 100-city book tour! My bags are packed, and my first stop this week is in Salt Lake City (join me!). I hope to see you on the road! Here's where I'll be next:
- Salt Lake City, UT - October 24th
- Austin, TX - October 25th
- Dallas, TX - October 26th
- San Francisco, CA - October 30th
Don’t See Your City? Use the form at the bottom of this page, and let me know where I should go next! I’ll use your input to decide on future book tour stops. If we get enough people together in your city, I’ll be there!
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- What starts with a drum set of his brother’s band being left at his house for a month when he was a teenager develops into a lifelong love of percussion and a major moneymaker
- A wine store employee realizes there’s a demand for his knowledge when a lawyer demands tasting lessons from him, and he eventually leaves his job to educate people about wine full-time
- And so much more, so stay tuned!
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by ShipStation, the #1 choice of online sellers. 📦
To get a 30-day trial AND an additional month free, click the microphone at the top of their page and enter the word HUSTLE.
Get it Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,