Notes from Chris
Episode 393THEMES & TAKEAWAYS: We had quite an eclectic mix of stories this week! I'd like to begin today's recap by addressing something from Sumit Bansal's story in Ep. 387. Sumit was able to create a lucrative side hustle using skills that he picked up in his day job. Sometimes your hustle idea can be found in your workplace. In Day 6 of the Side Hustle book, I told the story of Meredith Floyd-Preston, a Waldorf teacher who created her own curriculum and then sold that to other teachers (Ep. 13). She knew that Waldorf teachers were expected to teach in a certain way, and it took a lot of time for them to design their lessons from the ground up each week. She provided templates and ideas they could use, and then, of course, they could further customize them. Listen to the recap for more on this concept, including my response to the question, "But won't I get in trouble with my employer??" LISTENER QUESTIONS & UPDATES: Today we have a listener email from Emily and a listener update from Faith:
- Emily: "Hi Chris! Thank you so much for sharing side hustler stories on your podcas—it's been a big inspiration for me. Currently, I've cast a wide net trying to find the right idea. My question is this: when do I need to open a business bank account? And can I have one bank account for multiple potential revenue streams? I haven't made much money yet, so it doesn't seem necessary, but I do want to avoid any future complications."
- Faith is a local Portland listener who has recently been checking out the show and binge listening. Inspired by the stories she's heard, she put an ad up on Craigslist to offer a decluttering and organizing service for the new year, and she's already secured her first client!
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 387 - An IBM employee in India creates a series of Microsoft Excel tutorials, earning hundreds of dollars per sale
- Ep. 388 - This expat’s local pub quiz night started as a hobby. It turned into an idea to sell his collection of 5,000 trivia questions online, earning passive income month after month
- Ep. 389 - An architect creates minimalist onesies and t-shirts for his own kids—then turns it into a profitable side hustle
- Ep. 390 - After struggling with insecurities, a woman takes charge of her life and creates a cosmetic brand designed to boost confidence
- Ep. 391 - After being told he had a voice for radio, a journalist stumbles into a profitable side hustle appearing in beer and soft drink commercials
- Ep. 392 - For two decades, she trained sled dogs in the woods of Minnesota—but after a personal transformation, she started a fitness and empowerment program for women ages 45-55
Make a plan to start your hustle in 27 days or less!
You need more than one source of income. You need a side hustle. Side Hustle builds on the lessons from the show and presents a step-by-step, 27-day plan to help you create a new source of income without quitting your day job.
The book is out at a bookstore near you (or purchase it online!)
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- Men’s overalls that double as sweatpants: yes, this is a thing—and an experiment to sell them brings in $64,000
- Turn up the heat! An electrical engineer becomes the cover model for an indie romance series. This leads to a side gig that pays an additional $20-50,000 a year
- Tired of look-alike flag patches, this carpenter and frequent traveler creates his own designs based on a modern style with a nod toward 1920s luxury travel
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by ShipStation, the #1 choice of online sellers. 📦
To get a 30-day trial AND an additional month free, click the microphone at the top of their page and enter the word HUSTLE.
Get it Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,