Notes from Chris
Episode 85LISTENER Q&A: Our listener questions for this week come to us from Karl in Pennsylvania and Erin in Vancouver, B.C.:
- Karl is new to the side hustle world, but he already has a lot of ideas. His problem is that he can't test them all and finds it difficult to narrow down his ideas to two.
- Unlike Karl, Erin has already narrowed her ideas to one—a learning resource product inspired by some other Side Hustle School episodes (See Ep. 30, Ep. 43, and Ep. 59). She's at a point where she'd like to test a couple different delivery methods: one free and for sale, and she's looking for strategies to help her along the way.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM THIS WEEK: Here are some quick highlights for each episode this week. Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 78 - Amy utilized a jewelry skill she picked up in college to build a side hustle helping others to be more independent and empowered. It's a great example of a sustainable social enterprise, meaning that it supports itself by being profitable—while making a difference.
- Ep. 79 - A man in Houston develops and promotes a unique form of composting using—wait for it—red wiggler worms.
- Ep. 80 - After visiting an upscale men’s store and stumbling across a line of high-end scented candles, Marc watches YouTube tutorials on candle making and launches a scented side hustle of his own.
- Ep. 81 - Chris is a successful artist who has been able to make a living from his art, and now he's started a successful side hustle helping others to do the same.
- Ep. 82 - In the dawn of the budding cannabis industry, a Colorado bartender named Johnny self-publishes a statewide marijuana guide selling over 2,000 copies.
- Ep. 83 - After being dubbed the "Professional Bridesmaid" by her friends, a 26-year-old copywriter named Jen finds a way to capitalize on her years of experience decked out in high heels and taffeta.
- Ep. 84 - Bonus episode featuring a story from David who creates a niche, digital magazine for hockey goaltenders and fans of goaltenders.
Side Hustle School Live:
Make a plan to start your hustle in 28 days or less.
You need more than one source of income. This in-person workshop (NOT available online) will show you exactly how to set up your first—or your fifth—hustle. This week I was in Denver, and we just added four more dates to the lineup! Here's where I'll be next:
- San Francisco, CA - April 6th
- Austin, TX - April 8th
- Chicago, IL - May 4th
- Boston, MA - May 6th
- Washington, D.C. - June 8th
- Atlanta, GA - June 10th
Don’t See Your City? Let me know where you live! I’ll use your input to decide on future workshop locations. If we get enough people together in your city, I’ll be there.
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- A college student who starts a successful housecleaning service that makes $20,000 a month and allows him the peace of mind to travel to places like Japan without worrying that everything will fall apart
- A father of nine who starts an online service matching tutors with parents and their children after finding trouble searching for a tutor himself
- A woodworking project that started as an April Fool’s joke—but turned a $53,000 profit last year
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Skillshare. 📷
Skillshare is giving Side Hustle School listeners 2 months of unlimited access—for $0.99! Join the 2 million students learning everything from street photography to SEO on Skillshare today!
Get Started Here!
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,