What It's About
A woman creates a niche podcast and creates more financial freedom for her family.
Words of Wisdom
Samantha spent every spare second of her kids’ naptimes working on her side hustle and listening to podcasts, but she noticed that there were very few about her topic of interest. The ones that did exist were sales-oriented and low quality. So she thought, "Well, I like this medium and I know a lot of people are interested in oils. Someone should start a better show... why not me?"
What's missing in your topic of interest? Why shouldn't you be the one to start it?
When Samantha launched, she posted about the podcast to a Facebook Group of essential oils fans. It was more of an announcement than an advertisement: "Hey everyone, come check this out—you might like it."
That group had about 1,500 members, and many of them become her first listeners and subscribers.
Notes from Chris
Do podcasts make money? Well, yes...at least some of them do. It’s kind of like asking “Do websites make money?” Both podcasts and websites have the potential to bring in revenue, but there are a multitude of ways in which someone could do that: advertising, affiliate programs, online courses, etc. Today's episode takes you behind the scenes of an income-earning podcast about essential oils that's been able to earn one woman around $2,000/month on the side. Starting a podcast is not usually a quick way to riches, and it’s good to have another motive for it, whether it’s education or building community or just sharing your knowledge. That’s what I’ve done with Side Hustle School—I want to reach employees, not people who are already entrepreneurs—and that’s what Samantha did with her topic. Still, as she’s grown the podcast, she’s also grown the rest of her business to have resources and products that her listeners can take advantage of. Hopefully, her income will only continue to grow as she nurtures this project. MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- The Essential Oil Revolution: Learn more about Samantha and the benefits of essential oils on her podcast!
- Upwork: Samantha hired a sound editor and a virtual assistant from Upwork to help her with the podcast.
- Naptime Boss: Samantha's online course that teaches stay-at-home moms how to build their own online businesses while their kids are napping.
- Ohio IT Director Earns $31,000 Setting Up Wordpress Sites: How an Ohio IT director earned more than $31,000 empowering others by providing them with the tools and resources they needed to set up their own websites.
- College Student Generates 50M Views on YouTube, Hires 13 Employees: After seeking a method to conquer her own skin issues, one woman takes to YouTube to help others shed their skin insecurities as well. Five years later, she has her own skincare line serving people all over the world!
Subscribe Now For A Free Five Step Tutorial
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by ShipStation, the #1 choice of online sellers. 📦
To get a 30-day trial AND an additional month free, click the microphone at the top of their page and enter the word HUSTLE.
Get it Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,