What It's About
This designer has illustrated a 7-figure business around weddings and events.
Notes from Chris
Episode 1174Welcome to Throwback Thursday / “Where are they now?” where we take an in-depth look at someone who’s story has evolved considerably since we first featured them. So far in these features we’ve had a New York City musician with a blog teaching jazz that becomes a multiple six-figure business and an Australian woman who draws houses. Today, in our latest feature, we’ll hear from a graphic designer who does custom illustrations for weddings and other events. It’s now a seven-figure business! In New York City, Kristin Berry tapped into the wedding e-commerce market, and was able to get out of debt and turn her side hustle into full-time work. What’s most impressive to me is that she has scaled this business to such a significant revenue mark. Not every side hustle has to scale, of course, so that’s why we look at a variety of stories. As for what’s happened since we first heard from her, she’s made some major changes in getting away from the platform that helped her get started. Listen to today's episode to hear Kristin's updates...
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Check out Kristin's business at MissDesignBerry.com and learn more about her consulting business at KristinMastoras.com.
- Beagle Freedom Project: the non-profit Kristin is partnering with.
- Creative Illustrator Creates Creative Podcast for Creatives: This freelance illustrator did design work for Google and Nickelodeon, but after giving a talk at his church he decides to start a podcast—which now earns up to $70,000 a year on the side.
- Hand Lettering Artist Upgrades Cheesy Photo Booth Props: An illustrator gives boring wedding photo booth props a much-needed upgrade, creating an alternative to greeting cards at the same time.
- Graphic Designer Finds Success in the Cards: Wanting to keep her skills up-to-date, a designer creates and sells a line of handmade watercolor cards.
Download 2020 episodes: JAN | FEB | Download 2019 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2018 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2017 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Social media is nice, but building an email list is still the single best way to get customers and clients for your hustle. It's not hard to get started—sign up for a 30-day trial and join the list-building challenge! You’ll be up and running in no time.
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Side Hustle School is brought to you by American Express.
No matter what you do in business, from working nine-to-five to working five-to-nine, it’s easier when you don’t go it alone. Get the powerful backing of American Express—don't do business without it! 💳
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,