Notes from Chris
Episode 981THEMES & TAKEAWAYS: We’ve just finished week 36 of Season III! This week featured a mochi-making empire, cosplay costumes made with 3D printing, and more. This week we had Labor Day in the United States, which the Onward Project has now repurposed as #HappierLaborDay. Work should be something to be celebrated and enjoyed, not deferred or avoided. If you hate your work, most likely you’re doing the wrong kind of work. In the spirit of being proactive, let’s talk about something that’s important to a lot of businesses, especially ecommerce, retail, and anything where you’re selling a product that could possibly be given as a gift—even if it’s a bit of a stretch. What am I talking about? The fourth quarter of the year, of course! Especially in regards to holiday sales and promotions. I know we have a long time to go until the holidays themselves, but if you want to plan an effective promotion, you need to plan ahead. It doesn’t do you any good for me to pop up the week before Thanksgiving and say, “Have you planned your Black Friday promotion?”—because to do it properly will take some time and effort. Listen to the Weekly Recap to learn more!
WHERE ARE THEY NOW: Today, we have an update from Brian Thompson who was featured on the show in Ep. 91 — Copywriter Carves 140 Characters into $50,000 in Cash. Listen to the Weekly Recap to hear from Brian! You can also check out his website, Permanent140!
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 975 — When three co-workers notice their colleagues using paper towels to open restroom doors, they invent a simple solution that’s a step above the rest.
- Ep. 976 — Drawing on her Japanese heritage, a Bay Area teacher offers mochi classes using Airbnb Experiences.
- Ep. 977 — With a 3D printer and sense of imagination, a California natural gas industry worker takes superhero DIY cosplay to a whole new level.
- Ep. 978 — A Houston pharmaceutical sales representative delights gift recipients with illustrated greeting cards that tell the tales of their lives.
- Ep. 979 — When an Australian student is in need of spending money, she starts a bikini side hustle that grows well beyond “itsy bitsy.
- Ep. 980 — When longboard surfboards went out of style in the 1970s, thousands of them were selling at just $10 apiece. This aspiring ‘shaper’ knew it was a wave he had to catch a ride on.
We want to hear from you!
The best part of Side Hustle School is our community, and around 20% of our episodes come from listeners. Are you working on something and want to share it with us and our audience? If so, we want to hear from you!
Head on over to our online submission page, and we'll be in touch if your story is chosen.
And if you're still working on something but have some questions, we want to hear from you too! Most Weekly Recap episodes include Listener Q&A.
Call the Side Hustle Hotline at 844-9-HUSTLE (844-948-7853), record your question and send it to email@example.com, or just send us an email!
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- When a tap dance teacher overcomes self-doubt and launches an online course, he proves to himself that he’s not tapped out.
- After experimenting with many options, a designer learns that she works best with clients in the fitness and wellness fields.
- And much more!
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Skillshare. 📷
Skillshare is giving Side Hustle School listeners 2 months of unlimited access—for $0.99! Join the 2 million students learning everything from street photography to SEO on Skillshare today!
Get Started Here!
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,