A Side Hustle is a project you create to earn money apart from your day job. Ultimately it’s all about creating more freedom for yourself. Whether you hate your job and are trying to make a change, or you love your job and have no plans to leave, everyone should have more than one source of income—and that’s what a Side Hustle is all about.
No one will ever care about your career and wellbeing as much as you—you need to create your own security—and that’s what a hustle will allow you to do.
The whole point of the show is to guide you along the way of starting that first—or second, or fifth hustle.
Our listener questions for this week come to us from Jen McGuire and Ben Kapoor:
- Jen is considering starting a side hustle of her very own, but she's not sure that she'd want to go it alone. A few recent episodes have featured partner hustles (See Ep. 16, for example). If you're like Jen and are considering starting something up with a friend, there are three things you should do: 1) Have a written agreement, 2) Pick partners with different strengths as you, and 3) Divide areas of responsibility.
- Way back in Ep. 2, we featured Max Robinson and his side hustle, Fish Tank Bank. This quirky, little blog reviews fish tanks and includes affiliate links to Amazon for each. Despite not having to invest much time in it, Max has been able to consistently bring in $700/month in passive income. After listening to this episode, Ben began to wonder why a site that wasn't in the top four on Google would be so successful when companies like Ebay and Amazon exist, but a large part of Max's success is the result of his ability to think like his customers. This is a good rule of thumb no matter which direction you take with your side hustle!
Listen to the Weekly Recap for a more comprehensive look at this week's Listener Q&A! Also, if you have a question you'd like answered, send me a voice message. Your question may be featured on the show!
Highlights From This Week
Here are some quick highlights for each episode this week. Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel!
- Ep. 36 - Sarah was able to grow her pole dancing fitness side hustle to four locations and a six-figure income within six years. Great success story!
- Ep. 37 - After living for years overseas with his family, Jeff received a lot of question from people looking to do something similar. When he realized there was a need for information, he figured out a way to monetize it.
- Ep. 38 - Sheila's side hustle is both a product and a service, and it's a good example of combining different approaches.
- Ep. 39 - Ian's side hustle provides us with an early look at SaaS (software as a service) and recurring revenue.
- Ep. 40 - A marriage counselor tends to work with couples experiencing difficulty. A wedding officiant tends to work with couples who are very excited about beginning a new life together. Jeffrey, a trained psychotherapist, found a way to experience both roles once he started his officiant hustle.
- Ep. 41 - A fun story of a physical product: a work of art that is marketed to new parents and expectant parents.
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by ShipStation, the #1 choice of online sellers. 📦
To get a 30-day trial AND an additional month free, click the microphone at the top of their page and enter the word HUSTLE.
Get it Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,