What It's About
Three friends decide to stop beating around the bush and launch their own pubic oil skincare line.
Words of Wisdom
Through feedback, David realized that the $25 price tag for the full-size bottle was too high for many people who were skeptical of the new oil category, so they launched the sampler package: three scents, 2ml each, for $10. Included in this sampler is a discount on the next purchase.
They needed a less expensive way to get product into the hands of customers, and while the team lost a couple of dollars with the sample pack, David said that it’s been an effective way to acquire customers who return a few weeks later for larger orders.
Bushbalm was bootstrapped by three friends who all invested just $250 each in the beginning. They’ve grown the business solely by reinvesting profits, rather than raising any money.
Notes from Chris
David Gaylord was traveling with a good friend in Canada when the side hustle of this story was born. His friend, who had recently returned from his honeymoon, was excited about a personal discovery and just had to share it with David. He had been using beard oil in his pubic region, and the best part was that it was working wonders. Now, before you cringe, remember the benefits of beard oil on your face.
- - It reduces irritation and redness after shaving.
- - It sooths the often sensitive or dry skin and gives it nutrients.
- - It reduces the risk of ingrown hairs.
- - Not to mention, it makes you smell nice.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Bushbalm: Snag your very own bottle of pubic oil on their website and experience the magic firsthand!
- Shopify: David used Shopify to set up his store for Bushbalm, and they're offering a 21-day trial and exclusive discount for all Side Hustle School listeners!
- DudeIWantThat.com & IncredibleThings.com: Two popular blogs that responded to David’s cold emails that led to a major boost in sales for Bushbalm
- Claire's Facebook Guide: Free beginner's guide to getting started in the world of Facebook Ads
- Bearded Man Grows $500 A Month Grooming Business: When DIY-loving Chandler set out to grow a beard he had no idea his income, and his horizons, would also grow with it.
- Essential Oils Podcast Produces $2,000/Month in Passive Income: A stay-at-home mother starts a podcast about essential oils and pulls her family off government assistance
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Wordpress.com! Whether you’re looking to create a personal blog, business site, or both—you’ll make a big impact, when you build your website on WordPress.com. 💻
Get 15% off when you build your website with Wordpress.com—use promo code PODCAST when you check out.
Get Started Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,