What It's About
Two friends take advantage of the coconut pulling trend creating their own coconut oil mouthwash.
Words of Wisdom
There are some other coconut oil mouthwash products on the market right now, but they generally just contain coconut oil and flavor, whereas YALA has clove oil and xylitol which are known to improve gum health and prevent dental decay, respectively. Also, their competitors use wasteful packaging (individual sachets) and cost much more than YALA, which gives a month’s supply for the same cost as theirs, which is a two week supply.
If you're concerned with competition, find ways to set your product or service apart from the rest.
Daryl and Aaron met through mutual friends in Atlanta and quickly became close friends. They have a ton in common: Daryl is half Sri Lankan and Jewish while Aaron is half Indian and Jewish. They were born a day apart. They both played competitive tennis growing up in New Jersey and Long Island. They both played in rock bands. They both drive white Priuses. They even dated the same girl after college! And they both grew up with coconut oil in the house being used for everything.
Notes from Chris
Dentist Aaron Schwartz had heard a lot about oil pulling, an ancient tradition said to have originated in India thousands of years ago. It was part of the Ayurvedic medicine tradition, though details are hard to come by. Aaron thought oil pulling was great, but he also thought that he and his friend Daryl Weber, a brand strategist, could do it better. They finally decided on their current flavors, peppermint, and lemon, in a convenient toothpaste-like tube. The final formula is free of additives and artificial ingredients. Aaron and Daryl tested the formulas on groups of friends, and once they felt good about them, it was time to find a co-packer. Ever since YALA has been selling online to a whole mix of people around the country. Urban Outfitters reached out to them after seeing them on Instagram and asked for samples. They are now carrying YALA online and in many of their brick and mortar “Free People” stores around the country. Daryl and Aaron also sell the toothpaste online at tryyala.com. They launched this past December, and have seen steady growth and traction. They invested $50,000 in the business and pulled in $7,000 last month.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- YALA: Check out Daryl's line of coconut oil mouthwash on his website
- Blue Ridge Food Ventures: The co-packer that Daryl and Aaron ended up using to mass produce their products for YALA
- Shopify: Daryl and Aaron used Shopify to setup their website for YALA, and they're offering a 21-day trial and exclusive discount for all Side Hustle School listeners!
- ShipBob: The fulfillment company that Daryl and Aaron used to help them handle stock and orders for YALA
- Free People: The Urban Outfitters offshoot that carries YALA products in their stores
- Healthy Smiles Healthy Children: The charity that Daryl and Aaron donate a percentage of their proceeds to
- U.S. Co-Paker Directory: Are you reaching a point where you're outgrowing your own kitchen? Here's a directory containing co-packing companies in each state!
- Working With Co-Packers: Part 1 & Part 2: This two part series goes into what you should look for when selecting a co-packer and best practices for working with a co-packer once you've found one
- Shopify | Fulfillment 101: Everything you ever wanted to know about third-party warehousing and fulfillment
- Graphic Designer Turns Side Hustle into $80k Project: A longing for expression and self-love pushes one woman into a successful side hustle helping others live more fulfilling lives through the practice of breathwork
Subscribe Now For A Free Five Step Tutorial
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by ShipStation, the #1 choice of online sellers. 📦
To get a 30-day trial AND an additional month free, click the microphone at the top of their page and enter the word HUSTLE.
Get it Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,