Notes from Chris
Episode 603THEMES & TAKEAWAYS: From children’s books about real-life to a buzzworthy six-figure beekeeping biz to a Frenchman who says Bonjour to $35,000/month in foodie sales—this week has been full of adventure and lessons! We also celebrated crossing the rubicon of Ep. 600! Julius Caesar was once told by the Roman senate to disband his army and return to Rome—and most important of all, do not cross the Rubicon river to make a 600th podcast episode. In other news, Labor Day is right around the corner, and we're going to reimage, reinvent that concept by calling it "Happier Labor Day" (#happierlaborday). This project is the invention of Gretchen Rubin, who I have mentioned many times on the show. She is a great friend and mentor to me, and Side Hustle School is part of her Onward Project imprint. In an upcoming episode of her popular podcast, Happier with Gretchen Rubin, she's going to talk a bit more about this Happier Labor Day concept. In this episode, she'll be sharing some great tips with her listeners, so make sure to tune in! If you're interested in learning more about Happier Labor Day, check out today's Weekly Recap and head on over to Gretchen's podcast page!
WHERE ARE THEY NOW: This is a new segment we're trying out with the help of side hustlers that we've featured in the past. Today, we have an update from Meredith Floyd-Preston, who was featured very early in the show on Ep. 13. Meredith is a teacher who specializes in very specific learning style: Waldorf Education. She started helping other Waldorf teachers with their lessons through her website, A Waldorf Journey and checked in with us to let us know how things are going. Listen to the Weekly Recap to hear from Meredith and learn what's happened since she was featured on the show!
EPISODES FROM THIS WEEK: Here's what we heard this week on Side Hustle School! Listen to this week's recap for a more comprehensive highlight reel.
- Ep. 597 - The buzzworthy journey of Minnesotan bees and their keepers. These hardy bees don’t mess around—last year they produced $150,000 in sweet profits
- Ep. 598 - A mom in search of a new side hustle creates a profitable after-school enrichment class
- Ep. 599 - After sharing about her recovery from unhealthy eating, this health tech worker leverages an Instagram following and turns a kitchen experiment into a growing business
- Ep. 600 - Two Canadian mothers shake up the children’s book narrative by publishing stories that tell the truth about hard things in life
- Ep. 601 - After relocating to Quebec, this continental creative brings seasonal flavor to an artisanal food retailing biz
- Ep. 602 - A particularly productive crafter shares her goal-setting tips with readers, then goes on to make a “Get to Work Book” that earns more than $1 million in sales in the first three years
We want to hear from you!
The best part of Side Hustle School is our community, and around 20% of our episodes come from listeners. Are you working on something and want to share it with us and our audience? If so, we want to hear from you!
Head on over to our online submission page, and we'll be in touch if your story is chosen.
And if you're still working on something but have some questions, we want to hear from you too! Most Weekly Recap episodes include Listener Q&A.
Call the Side Hustle Hotline at 844-9-HUSTLE (844-948-7853), record your question and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org, or just send us an email!
Here's what's coming up next...
Each week I'll feature more stories from people who are starting side hustles without quitting their job. Here's a sneak peek of what's coming next week:
- An ad executive turned teddy bear manufacturer creates a military-grade sleep system for children, earning $100,000 in sales and making a lot of people beary happy
- What starts as a collegiate adventure in getting around the legal drinking age requirements leads to a mission that turns trash into cash
- And much more!
Do you have a side hustle story you'd like to share? Fill out the Side Hustle School submission form and your story may be featured on the show!
Also, if you're interested in joining the Side Hustle Society, visit our Society page to get notified when it goes live!
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Wordpress.com! Whether you’re looking to create a personal blog, business site, or both—you’ll make a big impact, when you build your website on WordPress.com. 💻
Get 15% off when you build your website with Wordpress.com—use promo code PODCAST when you check out.
Get Started Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,