What It's About
How an eighth grade student took an assignment to the next level.
Words of Wisdom
If you want to follow in Emily’s footsteps, she has a word of advice for you. Before charging for your product give it out for free in gift baskets to friends and get their feedback, then change your product from there on out. Not only does this get people talking about what you’re doing, but it allows you to have a much better product once you start charging for it.
When Emily went to San Sebastian in the north of Spain, she met three times Michelin starred chef, Arzak Espina, who tried Rudspice and supported her business.
Notes from Chris
Episode 191When most eighth graders are handed a school project, they hope to come out with a good grade, a little praise and enough time left over to hang out with their friends. But Emily Rudnick in Denver, Colorado isn’t most eighth graders. Because when she was handed her school project, she came out with a full-blown spice business and $250 a month in her back pocket. After $250 in startup costs for her spices and materials, and 45 days after receiving the assignment, Emily returned to her school with her business plan in her hand and 250 bottles of Rudspice that she’d hand-made for people to buy. Her teachers were impressed, but they weren’t surprised—they knew this fiery 14-year-old was always capable of something magical. The overall goal Emily has for RudSpice is that it replace salt and pepper on your kitchen table; but between now and then she’s focusing on getting the product in local restaurants, reaching out to farmers markets and creating more bottles to put on the retail shelves. Now that’s a business model with a real kick! MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Rudspice: Learn more about the rub this 8th grader is slinging to the Colorado masses! Fun Fact: an early, trial version forced the whole family out of the house for a day with all of the doors open
- Kickstarter | Rudspice: The Kickstarter campaign that helped to get Rudspice on the shelf
- Savory Spice Shop: Where Emily and her father learned more about the art of making spices and began to perfect their recipe for RudSpice
- Denver Post | School project turns into fully functioning spice blend business for 14-year-old: The article that the Denver Post wrote about Emily and Rudspice
- Mom & Son Create 'Comfy Cup' Support for Young Athletes: A Kansas City-area mom and her 10-year-old son invent an unconventional (but essential) product for young male athletes that brings in more than $5,000 a month
- Delicious Cookies Arrive at My Door in Portland, Oregon: A late night craving evolves into a cookie delivery service spreading chocolate chip goodness throughout the land
- Fire Roasted Coffee Dreams Lead to Big Beans: When searching high and low for fresh roasted coffee leaves a father in the Yukon with an empty mug, he starts making it himself and creates a side hustle caffeinating the masses
Download Episodes By Months
Season 6 (2022): JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL |
Season 5 (2021): JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC |
Season 4 (2020): JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC |
Season 3 (2019): JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC |
Season 2 (2018): JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC |
Season 1 (2017): JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC |
Want to build any kind of website for your hustle? If so, you'll need somewhere to host it! This is the reliable company I've used for many websites. It's cheap, flexible, and offers support 24-7.
Get your own hosting plan for just $2.49 a month!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Get a FREE Audiobook from Audible!
Audible is offering SHS listeners a free copy of the Born For This audiobook with a 30-day trial membership. 📚
Just go to aonc.co/bftaudible and browse the unmatched selection of audio programs and start listening.
Get it Here
Like the Show? Leave a Rating!
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,