What It's About
A freelancer notices that many small business owners struggle with creating systems and structure.
Words of Wisdom
If you're looking to improve your workflow, you should pay attention to:
1: what you’re putting off
2: the things you do over and over
3: and what you want to do but feel like you don’t have time for
Then, try to make small decisions to adjust each of these areas. How can you schedule what’s important to you?
Lori named her business The LAB Creative Co. At first, the L-A-B was a nice play on her initials, but she eventually realized it was a good way to encompass the journey she was going to take her customers on too. Lori would guide them through a six to eight week period where they would work together to create unique productivity systems, which felt like she was taking them through a science lab!
Notes from Chris
Episode 810Lori Behle is a full-time freelancer with a broad skill set. From writing and graphic design to social media and virtual assistance, she’s run the gamut of freelance projects. Across all of these projects, Lori began to see a noticeable trend. In her onboarding conversations with clients, they always expressed the same problems:
● Their work was overwhelming
● They felt behind on projects
● For the most part, they wished they had more hours in the day
● They could never “get organized”Hearing these problems, Lori began to brainstorm different ways she could help people solve them. She looked at her own skills and saw she’d always been good at building systems and working with logistics. She’d set up lots of efficient workflows to make her more productive in her freelance business, and thought she could help her clients to do the same. Although Lori saw this gap in the market, it took her a long time to actually start her side hustle. She felt gripped by the fear of rejection and didn’t want to start offering a service nobody wanted. So, it spent around six months bouncing around in the back of her mind. Eventually, though, she stopped hesitating and committed to taking small daily steps to start the business. On the first day she developed a name, the second she bought a $200 website from Squarespace, the third she created one page of her website ... and so she continued for a few weeks until her new side hustle was ready to open its doors. Lori named her business The LAB Creative Co. Since opening the doors to The LAB Creative Co. in January of 2019, Lori has successfully guided 5 clients through this process. She projects that she’ll earn a total of $30,000 this year, which would be at least 20 clients in total. Looking to the future, Lori wants to increase the passive income side of her business. She’s started writing guides which isolate each of the processes she takes her clients through. This way, people with a lower budget can also get the benefit of her services. It’s a whole new world!
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- The LAB Creative Co.: Learn more about Lori's creative solutions over on her website
- Gmail Tool Generates $1 Million a Year: After looking for a way to send mass emails by Gmail, this web developer stumbles on more than a million dollars a year in recurring revenue
- Friends Team Up to Deliver Compassionate Tech Support: A nonprofit executive partners with a friend to provide IT services for charities and small businesses
- Operations Manager Manages to Make Heavy Furniture Light: A Maine university employee uses her logistical savvy to deliver IKEA enthusiasts their goods at greatly reduced rates
Download 2020 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP Download 2019 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2018 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2017 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Want to build any kind of website for your hustle? If so, you'll need somewhere to host it! This is the reliable company I've used for my past 5 websites. It's cheap, flexible, and you can get support 24 hours a day.
Get your own hosting plan for just $5 a month!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by ShipStation, the #1 choice of online sellers. 📦
To get a 30-day trial AND an additional month free, click the microphone at the top of their page and enter the word HUSTLE.
Get it Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,