What It's About
A father and daughter weave an even stronger bond with their handmade loom side hustle.
Words of Wisdom
After they sold a few looms, Stephanie and Chris reevaluated their offerings; they found nicer wood options and began offering painted and stained looms as well as a higher-priced full weaving package with their looms.
This is an important part of the side hustling process. After you've made some sales, you can generally tell what is working and what isn't. Don't be afraid to regroup and refine your offerings!
Stephanie says the “cha-ching” noise you get when you sell something on Etsy is really invigorating and one of her favorite things about the platform. She and Chris call or text each other to celebrate each order—in fact, they still do to this day. Each sale—no matter how small—is a win in their book, and a step closer to the business they are hoping to build.
Notes from Chris
In the summer of 2014, Stephanie Sacks discovered the art of weaving and enjoyed re-creating the unique wall hangings that she saw online. She enjoyed it so much that she started gifting her designs to family and friends...and eventually, she saw the potential of turning this hobby into a side hustle. Desiring to expand her craft, Stephanie decided to search for a customized loom that would allow her to do even more. She turned to her dad, Chris, who had a penchant for woodcraft. It turned out to be a fun project that allowed them an opportunity to bond over wood shavings and power tools—because you know what they say: the family that sands together, stays together. As she grew more interested in this market, Stephanie noticed that weaving classes and wall hangings were a becoming a trend on social media, so the father-daughter duo started playing with the idea of making their own looms for purchase. Like many crafty-inclined side hustlers, Stephanie decided to launch her side hustle under the name Wood Creek & Co. on Etsy first, and it's really taken off! Their revenue has steadily increased since launch—$19,000 in 2015, $37,000 in 2016, and by mid-August of this year, they’ve already brought in $18,000 with the promise of an active holiday season looming in the air.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Wood Creek & Co.: Check out what Stephanie and Chris are up to on their website and on Etsy
- Etsy Wholesale: The massive marketplace that Stephanie and Chris signed up for so that they could reach more independent retailers
- Shopify: Stephanie used Shopify to set up the storefront for Wood Creek Co., and they're currently offering a 21-day trial and exclusive discount for all Side Hustle School listeners!
- Wholesale Guide for Etsy Sellers: If you're interested in wholesale but aren't sure it would be a good fit for you, here's a resource article that may be of some assistance
- GE Engineer Sells Hand-Crafted Slate Artwork to All 50 States: A GE engineer uses his skills to make and sell hand-crafted slate artwork to all 50 states. In addition to bringing in a great side income, it’s also given him more courage and security to make decisions at his day job
- USPS Mail Carrier Makes Clay Imprints for New Parents: How a USPS mail carrier and court interpreter created an $800/month hustle serving new and expectant parents
Download Episodes By Months
Season 6 (2022): JAN | FEB | MAR | APR |
Season 5 (2021): JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC |
Season 4 (2020): JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC |
Season 3 (2019): JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC |
Season 2 (2018): JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC |
Season 1 (2017): JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC |
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by ShipStation, the #1 choice of online sellers. 📦
To get a 30-day trial AND an additional month free, click the microphone at the top of their page and enter the word HUSTLE.
Get it Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,