What It's About
A health-conscious SEO expert capitalizes on the meal prepping trend by building a subscription site.
Words of Wisdom
In addition to writing blog posts, Remi worked with influencers on Instagram to promote his business and helped him gain around 5,000 followers. He says that influencers are great to work with because their followers are engaged, and their CPM is cheaper than Adwords, Facebook ads, and Instagram ads.
Notes from Chris
Remi Silva has always been a health-conscious person and noticed that meal prep was getting more popular on Instagram. He then used two tools to do some quick research. First, he looked up a few phrases on Google Trends and noticed that it had been gaining traction on Google over the years. He then looked at Keyword Planner, another free tool from Google, and found that the phrase “meal prep” had been exponentially growing year after year, yet nobody had monetized it through good content. The phrase “meal prep for weight loss” had a tremendous opportunity to become a side hustle, so he started a subscription-based website selling people healthy, meal prep recipes. Because his site now ranks for a lot of long-tail keywords around meal prep, he gets around 20 to 25 new email subscribers a day, and the goal is to convert at least 10% of them to a paid subscription plan. The Keyword Planner tooler can help you figure out what people are searching for. As you'll hear in today’s story, you don’t always know what people are searching for or which searches lead to best conversions. At the very least, using this tool can help you determine whether you're on the right track, or if you need to think differently about your topic.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Sunday Meal Prepper: Learn more about Remi and his meal planning subscription service
- Keyword Planner: This tool helps you reach the right customers with the right keywords and helps you to better build your SEO and ad campaigns
- Wordpress: Remi used Wordpress for his meal prepping website because it would help him learn html and it was highly customizable. Learn how to install your own Wordpress site in 5 minutes!
- SEO 101: If you're looking to launch your own online presence, here's a Beginner's Guide to SEO
- Subscription Box Service Delivers Candy from Japan: An expat living in Japan packages candy twice a month and sends it around the world to hundreds of people who pay $29/month.
- Data Scientist Starts Science Fiction Magazine: A Colorado scientist publishes a science fiction magazine and builds it to a sustainable income of $1,800/month, funded largely by his readers.
Subscribe Now For A Free Five Step Tutorial
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Skillshare. 📷
Skillshare is giving Side Hustle School listeners 3 months of unlimited access—for $0.99! Join the 2 million students learning everything from street photography to SEO on Skillshare today!
Get Started Here!
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,