What It's About
After creating a keepsake for a friend, a woman in Texas starts posting her artwork on Instagram and ends up with a calligraphy side hustle.
Words of Wisdom
Caddy's husband, Jarik, watched her work like crazy every night after her day job, and after a couple weeks stepped in with a proposal. He would take care of the financial, legal and general management so that Caddy could focus on the creative side of the business. This division of labor has been one of the best things for the business.
By January 2016, only 3 months into officially doing business, Caddy and Jarik had their very first client that wasn’t connected to them through any social circle. This felt like a big milestone for Caddy because it meant that not only was her art reaching beyond her own circles, it was also resonating with them.
Notes from Chris
With over 400 million users spending time on Instagram each day, it's no surprise that it has become a major jumping off point for many people looking to start and promote a new business venture or project. While you can find accounts for virtually any niche topic you can imagine, there are certain topics that have really taken off on the platform. In today's story, we feature a woman in Texas who had never had an Instagram account...until she registered one to start a side hustle. Without trying several different approaches, she wouldn’t have found the best fit. However, without eventually becoming selective, she wouldn’t have been able to grow her side hustle. These days, Caddy is bringing in several thousand dollars each year ($9,000 as of last month), and in a few months, she'll be well on track to double or even triple that within the year. Do you use Instagram? You can follow me @193Countries! MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Caddy Corner Designs: Learn more about Caddy and the services & products she offers
- Caddy Corner Designs Instagram Page: Here's the Instagram page that started it all
- The Yes Girls: The proposal company Caddy's friend works at who tried to tag Caddy on Instagram
- The Calligraphy Stars of Instagram: The New Yorker on the Instagram calligraphy craze
- How to DIY Modern Calligraphy: Interested in learning more about how you can get started with calligraphy? Check out this video!
- Oil & Gas Sales Rep Makes $40,000 Reposting Online Photos: After joining Pinterest, a natural gas sales rep learns how to pin for dollars in her spare time
- Facebook Photo Leads to Today Show Appearance: An elementary school teacher on a mission to introduce a non-toxic product for school rallies and sporting events makes it on the TODAY show
Subscribe Now For A Free Five Step Tutorial
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by ShipStation, the #1 choice of online sellers. 📦
To get a 30-day trial AND an additional month free, click the microphone at the top of their page and enter the word HUSTLE.
Get it Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,