What It's About
A Canadian with a passion for hockey creates a digital magazine for goaltenders.
Words of Wisdom
David's website is built on WordPress and is now hosted through Synthesis, but they got there after a lot of trial and error. When he published a mask with Chuck Norris on it and Yahoo's front page linked to them, they learned a hard lesson about having a reliable web host.
David’s entrepreneurial journey began in the late 70s as a hockey loving 6th grader selling pictures of NHL goalie masks to classmates. That early experience inspired a side hustle 30 years later when he created InGoal Magazine, the most-read website and digital magazine for hockey goaltenders. Not bad, eh?
Notes from Chris
Almost a decade after starting, David's digital magazine is the most read website for hockey goaltending, and a large part of his success is due to his focus on a specific aspect of hockey rather than trying to cover everything in that field. Even 5-10 years ago, there were a ton of blogs and resources about hockey in general, but none of them focused exclusively on goaltenders and goaltending. Do you have an interest you'd like to turn into a side hustle? It's not too late! You can still create a side hustle that will stand out, but here’s what helps:
1. Write down your interest and draw a circle around it.
2. Start drawing lines off to the side with related, more specific topics.For example, if you chose video games, you might branch out by writing: classic video games, arcade games, modern mobile games, online multiplayer games, and so on. You can also start looking at categories: sports games, role-playing games, games from a certain studio, under-appreciated games, etc.
3. Then, try combining two or three of these topics.Example: Under-appreciated RPGs from the early 90s—Ultima: Worlds of Adventure 2, I'm looking at you!
4. Become what’s known as an authority site and focus on delivering quality content.
5. Soak up all the glory! (Oh, and also set up revenue sources as you go along.)If you’re not familiar with gaming, the point is this: there are a lot of ways to stand out by focusing on something interesting and relevant to a certain community. You might think that such a thing is impossible these days, but it's definitely not too late. MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- InGoal Magazine: Learn more "aboot" David and hockey goaltending on his blog
- Synthesis: David decided to use a hosting company that specializes in WordPress sites
- PE Teacher Makes $11,000 With Membership Site: A PE teacher starts a blog that makes more than $11,000 through a sustainable revenue model that will likely grow with each passing month
- A Visit to the Ballpark Inspires a Unique Fashion Item: A couple decides to go into manufacturing novelty baseball sweaters after receiving a lot of attention about them at a baseball game
Download 2020 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP Download 2019 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2018 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC Download 2017 episodes: JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN | JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Supporting the sponsors keeps the show free. Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by Skillshare. 📷
Skillshare is giving Side Hustle School listeners 2 months of unlimited access—for $0.99! Join the 2 million students learning everything from street photography to SEO on Skillshare today!
Get Started Here!
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,