What It's About
Mexican avocados ripen into an $85,000 Snapchat consulting contract.
Words of Wisdom
Austin had a lot of words of wisdom to impart to our Side Hustle School audience:
"Take massive, imperfect action. Side hustles often boil down to the amount of grit you have; nothing gets built successfully without a bit of hard work and patience. So often, I see my friends pursue an idea and give up before they ever even get started."
Launched in 2011, Snapchat is a popular mobile messaging app used to share photos, videos, and text, which is only available for a short time. Shortly after viewing a message (called a snap), it will self-destruct. A geo-filter is a graphic overlay that can be added to a snap to capture where you are or what you are doing.
Notes from Chris
Austin Dixon is a serial hustler. The digital marketing consultant and millennial business coach has a few side projects each with a varying level of involvement, success, and failure. But the one he calls his “true side hustle”—the one he started to make some extra money outside the 9 to 5—is Filter Haus, a service that works with brands to promote their products/services through custom Snapchat Geofilter campaigns. It was after Austin made a Snapchat Geofilter for a friend’s birthday party that he and his business partner Shane saw marketing potential. Geofilters were a great tool for marketing an event, so why not try them for marketing brands, too? In one night, Austin set up a website and within the first week, the duo had made a sale. That first sale was a “this could actually work” moment, said Austin. Filter Haus’s biggest client to date, Avocados from Mexico, came from a blog post-Austin did about their digital marketing strategy during the Super Bowl. They were given creative freedom to pitch a campaign that would help create an association amongst millennials between sports and avocados and landed a 12-month, $85,000 contract.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Filter Haus: Learn more about Austin and Shane's Snapchat geo-filter on their website
- Wordpress: Austin and Shane used Wordpress to create their website, and here you can learn how to install your own Wordpress site in 5 minutes!
- Avocados from Mexico: Filter Haus’s biggest client to date that came from a blog post Austin did about their digital marketing strategy during the Super Bowl
- The Top 10 Benefits Of Social Media Marketing | Forbes: Interested in learning more about marketing through social media? Check this out
- Oil & Gas Sales Rep Makes $40,000 Reposting Online Photos: After joining Pinterest, a natural gas sales rep learns how to pin for dollars in her spare time
- Bikini Model Creates Multi-Million Swimsuit Line: A swimsuit model uses industry connections and social media savvy to launch a high-end shopping site taking on major swimwear companies from the beaches of Miami
Subscribe Now For A Free Five Step Tutorial
Earn 50,000 travel rewards points (enough for 2 round-trip plane tickets or $625 in travel credit). You'll also earn 2x points on all travel and dining spend, with zero foreign transaction fees.
I use this card every day all over the world! ✈️
Create your online store with Shopify using an exclusive discount for Side Hustle School listeners. For a limited time, get a free 21-day trial and a 10% discount for a whole year.
Many Side Hustle School listeners are building sites using Shopify's easy-to-learn platform. Try it free today!
Quote of the Day
Sponsors & Gratitude
Today’s episode of Side Hustle School is brought to you by ShipStation, the #1 choice of online sellers. 📦
To get a 30-day trial AND an additional month free, click the microphone at the top of their page and enter the word HUSTLE.
Get it Here
Side Hustle School is for you! If you’re enjoying it, please take a quick moment to leave a rating or write a quick review. It's really easy and it makes a difference! ✅
It also makes a huge difference when you tell your friends about the show. Remember, it's 100% free and listener-supported.
Keep in Touch
There’s a new story every single day on Side Hustle School. Episodes are produced to be short and to the point—I know you’re busy. Be sure you subscribe to get instant notification of the day’s broadcast!
To infinity and beyond,